Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 13:39   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Advice on New Gauge Set

I would like some advice on where to buy a new set of Gauges for my new Perkins 4-108. I would like a new Tach, Temp, Oil, hour meter.

I believe my Tach range is 1500 to 3600
The oil psi is around 55
temp I am not sure

thank you

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 15:43   #2

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
TAD has everything you need or you can go to your local auto parts store and buy the individual gauges and make your own panel:

TAD for marine instrument panels, marine gauges, marine senders, marine alarm switches, marine tachometers

Paul
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 16:12   #3

You are in luck. I' am just finishing this project on my 4-107.

2 words - Teleflex Marine.

I've attached the brochure for the Amega Series. I made my own panel by laminating a .25" ply wood board and making a frame. It was not hard to do. All the gauges are straight forward oil, water, amps, hour meter. The tach is a different matter. The Perkins has a take off for a mechanical tach cable. It comes out of the block just behiind and below the alterantor. You use a pulse generator (Signalflex) to count the rmps and send it to the tach. There are some tricks you need to know to make this work on the 4-108. The Pulse generator is too large to attache directly to the mechanical take off. You will need a short piece (4") of the cable to make it work.

I have a tech paper from teleflex reviewing all the gauges and how they are wired, but it is too big to post. PM me with your email address and I will send you everything I've got. I also added an alarm for low oil/overheating. I'll be happy to share. Review the papers when you get them, then we can discuss any questions you have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf teleflex amega.pdf (520.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 17-05-2010, 16:19   #4

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Thank you Maddog, I will look at them. I want to change from the cable tack to another kind. Can this be done?

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 16:30   #5

Yes it can. 2 ways, use the pulse generator off the mechanical take off to a diesle tach --or-- hook the diesle tach to the alternator. I'll post the tech paper to the gallery when I get home. I went with using the mechanical take off and the pulse generator. I more comfortable with being more accurate. Any decent speedometer shop can supply all this for you. Be sure to get a diesle tach it only goes to 4000 rmp. The amp meter should be -60-0-+60, Water temp to +200. I did a seperate hour meter, you can get one built into the tach if you want. Let me know if you are interested in the alarm info.
Old 17-05-2010, 18:17   #6

Update - My pdf from Teleflex is too large to post. I've asked Gord what I can do to share this info. I'll let you know.
Old 17-05-2010, 22:34   #7

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Check the oil pressure sender to see what PSI it reads, and this will help you match up to the right oil pressure gauge. Some times the maker of the oil pressure gauge will have a sender that is matched to the gauge, and you will have to get the sender too.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 08:08   #8

Guys - Gord tells me that they don't archive pdf manuals, but provide links to their location on the interweb. The pdf I have from teleflex is a compilation of tech papers for gauges used by any inboard diesle or gas engine. I weeded out all the outboard info. PM me with your email address if you would like to have it. I'll share everything I got. I promise not to sell your info to any third party.