Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 17:27   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.2
Advice on Using International Uni-Pro Ablative Bottom Paint

I am in Marmaris, Turkey looking for bottom paint. I would like to get Pettit SR60 Ablative anti-fouling bottom paint, but can't find it.

The store here has International Uni-Pro ablative paint. I have not heard of Uni-Pro. Does anyone have any info that will help? Is it a good product? Is it on par with the SR60? Will it be good in tropical waters? (I realize I am in the Med, but I will be in the tropics shortly.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
nelson.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 17:26   #2

Boat: Bavaria 39
Send a message via Skype™ to Eye Candy
Hello Peter,
I'm in Marmaris on the hard in Yacht Marine. I have used Uni Pro for the last 4 seasons and am very pleased with it. The boat always comes out clean after a 6 to 8 month season in the Med - I've never seen the need for a water blast, no coral worm except up the saildrive "cave". Last season I did only one coat and you could come and see the results now if you like. I will be sanding the bottom today (Friday) and Sat - so be quick.
However, I too am wondering how we will go in the tropics with fewer lift-outs. This year we will winter the boat in the water in Tunisia so I will be putting more coats on and learn from that.
I know nothing of SR60 as a comparison.

Andrew
Eye Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 22:15   #3

Hi, Andrew. Spent the winter at Yacht Marine. We left a couple of weeks ago, went to Gocek/Fethiye, then returned, then left over the weekend for Rhodos and Crete. We are now in Karpathos.

I went ahead and got the SR60. From what I can tell, the SR60 is near the top-of-the-line for International. We paid 550 TL/5 liter can at the chandlery just up the street from Ege Marin. (The International dealer kitty corner to Ege wanted 600 TL.)

Hope that helps.
Old 09-04-2010, 00:08   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We are in Fetheyia, arrived yesterday

We need to haul out soon, here in Turkey with a view to going to the Caribbean at the end of the year. We have on Micron Extra, which is often used for tropical water, or Micron 66 if you can find it.

We want to go see Karpathos too! Whats it like?

I need some serious Turkey/Greek island info so I better have a look in the Destinations part...

I can't believe the high marina prices here... 50 Euros per night in Fetheyia... bugger that! We're on the pick. Wanted to wash the salt off

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 22:48   #5

We only stayed one night in Karpathos so we don't have much to report. We went into the marina at Pighadia. But it was too unprotected from the northerly for us to feel comfortable tying up to the quay. So we went across the bay and anchored against the cliffs off the beach from the petrol refinery. That was comfortable against the northerly.

On the southern tip of Kasos was a really cool little anchorage with some awesome rock formations. I don't know what it is like in season, but this time of year, of course, we had the place to ourselves. There is a nice ledge next to the beach for anchoring.

Check out the Tues. market in Fethiye. Way better than Marmaris. And if you haven't already tried the honey-dipped peanuts rolled in sesame seeds, then you are really missing out on life!

We are doing the ARC this year and will winter over in the Carib. Maybe we can hook up?? We will be in Crete for a week or so checking out the island, hauling the boat, and putting on a couple of coats of the Micron 66 I scored in Marmaris. Then off to the Pelopponese and Adriatic.

If you want direct contact, I am at nelson.peter1(at)live.com
Old 11-04-2010, 23:51   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson.peter View Post
We are doing the ARC this year and will winter over in the Carib. Maybe we can hook up?? We will be in Crete for a week or so checking out the island, hauling the boat, and putting on a couple of coats of the Micron 66 I scored in Marmaris.
We will be going to the Carib too, but not with the ARC, probably a few days after or before. So we will meet in the Canaries if not before.
We are heading to Gallipoli for ANZAC Day. Leaving Thursday if this southerly comes in. Its an Australian commemoration of a first World War battle that went a tad wronig for us, and a tad well for the Turks!

We are looking for Micron 66 too! Was given a price here of 550TL for 5 liters thasts $400!

Where did you get yours/ price?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:43   #7

Yeah, sad to say, but 550 TL is what we paid, too.

Canaries might be tough for hooking up. ARC will own Las Palmas the two weeks leading up to the 11/21 start. We plan to leave Gibraltar Nov. 1

Tags
bottom paint