Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 16:59   #1

Boat: Simonis 50
Advise please - Fuel transfer pump needed

We need to buy a new fuel transfer pump for our diesel polishing system. The polishing system is designed to pick up diesel fuel in the tank, pump it through 2 large Racor filters and then back to the same tank - we want to run the pump for about 8 - 10 hours continuous per week. Our existing fuel pump is inadequate and start overheating after 2 hours. We require the pump to the following specs;

24 volt pump, 20 to 50 gallons per minute, continuous run, reversible and preferably no impeller.

Please recommend a pump we should consider for purchase.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:07   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Advise please - Fuel transfer pump needed

Go here: FACET SOLID STATE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS from Aircraft Spruce and scroll down until you find 24v and rate you want. Less than $50
These are designed to be used continuously.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 17:09   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Syntex make a 24 volt model. I know this because they sent me one by mistake. I've only run our 12 volt model Syntex for about ten minutes at a time but I detected no heat build up in that time and the flow rate was probably a bit higher than you'd get through your filtering setup, ours was just going through a single Delphi filter and water separator.
Old 07-10-2016, 18:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

What's your maximum lift?

I have to lift close to 6' and the only thing I can find is a Whale pump from Northern Supply with the right rubber. Forget the name of it this second, senior moment. I use it to fill my day tank through a Racor.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:55   #5

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
We need to buy a new fuel transfer pump for our diesel polishing system. The polishing system is designed to pick up diesel fuel in the tank, pump it through 2 large Racor filters and then back to the same tank - we want to run the pump for about 8 - 10 hours continuous per week. Our existing fuel pump is inadequate and start overheating after 2 hours. We require the pump to the following specs;

24 volt pump, 20 to 50 gallons per minute, continuous run, reversible and preferably no impeller.

20to 50 gallons per Minute?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
What's your maximum lift?
About 8 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
20to 50 gallons per Minute?
Sorry, forgot to convert from liters to gallons.
5 to 13 gallons (20 to 50 liters) per minute.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:15   #7

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Have had Wallboro for 15 years for same function. They have many options re voltage and fuel flow. continuous duty type for trucks etc. Russ
Old 08-10-2016, 09:30   #8

20-50 litres a minute? "You're gonna need a bigger boat"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think your biggest issue will be the lift. Ive been using Whale gulper 220 with nitril rubber bits.

I. Ought this from Northern Tool who was the sole US distributed for the nitril version. But they now list it as no longer available. Rats!

Try these links

http://www.whalepumps.com/industrial...-transfer.aspx

Whale Gulper Pump for Diesel and Kerosene - WHD1552B
Old 08-10-2016, 17:20   #10

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post

Fuel transfer pumps are "gear pumps"

Search eBay or a "24 volt gear pump"

You may find it difficult to find a pump that is rated to run for more than 2 hours continuously.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:32   #11

I have been using a jabsco vr050 have had no problems
purepleaaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:53   #12

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Prices seem to run from $40 to over $400.

I'm looking for a way to transfer fuel between tanks. The tanks are less than 30" high and the pump would be mounted no more than a few inches higher than the top of the tanks.

I have four aluminum tanks. I don't need this now, although I can see where the day may come. But I'm not ready to drop $300 or $400 on it.

Should I even bother with a $40 pump? When they list the maximum head, is that just to get it primed, or after? I can accept the fact that they won't run continuously for hours. How long can I use one before letting it cool down?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:49   #13

Thank you for your comments, advise and recommendations. Appreciated!
Old 09-10-2016, 13:18   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think max head is the output pressure. What you are concerned with is MAX LIFT.

Some transfer pumps, rotary impeller, want very little to NO lift. You can have that same issue with the cooling water to your engine. My PO put a water filter a loooo g way away from the engine and when it got some goop in it the engine overheated.

Some will pick a small amount. My Walbro feeding the Espar would pick about 4'. So I would loose heat at about 1/3 tank. Deep tanks in the keel.

That's why I've ended up with Whale pumps to feed my day tanks. Good flow, will suck through a Racor, good lift. I did ruin one, probably because I was using a 2 micron filter. It was working so hard it tore itself apart. Without the filter over run them for hours. You just need to make sure you get nitril bits, the regular stuff will work for a couple of 4 months but will distort and fail. Knowledge hard gained gained through a series of bad decisions.
Old 09-10-2016, 13:56   #15

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Prices seem to run from $40 to over $400.

I'm looking for a way to transfer fuel between tanks. The tanks are less than 30" high and the pump would be mounted no more than a few inches higher than the top of the tanks.

I have four aluminum tanks. I don't need this now, although I can see where the day may come. But I'm not ready to drop $300 or $400 on it.

Should I even bother with a $40 pump? When they list the maximum head, is that just to get it primed, or after? I can accept the fact that they won't run continuously for hours. How long can I use one before letting it cool down?
A 12 volt Chinese manufactured gear pump is ebay item #252386122234 and is priced at €55 and has a flow rate of 3.7 Gallons per Minute and is self priming to 5 feet.
There are many others but a €400 pump would seem to have a throughput in excess of the filters found on boat diesels. So a cheaper unit seems appropriate to your application.
If you do fuel transfer without filtration a large throughput pump would be ok.

The flow rate for the transfer pump should be matched to the maximum flow rate of the Racor filters that you may use.
How long you can use it for before overheating?, will depend on the ambient temperature.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, lease