Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 09:35   #1

Affordable places to restore a boat near Seattle?

Hi!

This is my first post, so be gentle.

I'm moving to Seattle in 2 or 3 months, and I would like to buy a cheap boat, restore it, and then live on it eventually. I've been looking around Seattle though, and it seems many marinas either don't have dry dock areas or charge exorbitantly high prices (e.g. $1/ft/day) for dry dock.

Does anyone know of any places I could work on my boat every day for an affordable rate? Bonus if I can also live on the boat while working on it. I'm imagining a 30-40 foot boat.

I'm open to creative options as well as marinas with affordable dry docks (e.g. I have never worked on a boat before and am not sure if I should also be considering perhaps just buying a tiny plot of land to put the boat on--would that even be feasible without a crane? is a crane necessary for repositioning a boat on jacks/stands?)

Thanks!
rickysails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 23:40   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Affordable places to restore a boat near Seattle?

Here are the marinas in Seattle.

https://www.yellowpages.com/seattle-wa/marinas

When they move my yacht they will do it without a crane as the transport jinker trailer is "U" shaped. They back the trailer either side of the keel then use jacks to raise the hull before moving off with the yacht.

Should you use hardstand at a marina or a tiny block? You'll have to do your sums but keep in mind:
  • Cost of transport both ways.
  • cost of rent of hardstand at marina (and can you live aboard)
  • cost of a tiny block.
  • How long will the restoration take (it will always take longer than you think)
If it is a big project I wouldn't like to be under pressure to complete the yacht by a certain time if I was doing it in a marina.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 00:50   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Rickysails what is the desire to undertake this type of project? Have you been sailing before? I tell you messing with boats is addictive if it's your "thing". But if it's not then quickly it just becomes a nightmare. I see and survey plenty of half finished projects.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:30   #4

It's been a dream of mine for over a decade. I'm very handy and tinker on a lot of projects. I'm sure there will be many surprises, but I'm also sure I will enjoy it
rickysails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:11   #5

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Seattle is not an inexpensive place to live aboard or to haul a boat (having done both there myself). It also does not have much in the way of do-it-yourself boat yards. Perhaps a better question might be - where are places in western Washington which have an inexpensive DIY boatyard?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:53   #6

A lot of boatyards aren't going to allow live aboards for liability reasons. A lot of marinas have waiting lists for liveaboard spots. They have also discovered liveaboard fees and now minimum sizes for boats. I think Everett now has a 32 foot minimum to liveaboard.
The easiest marinas to find liveaboard spots are over on the Bremerton side and around Tacoma.
For boatyards that allow DIY and staying on the boat, I would look for ones popular with cruisers. Just guessing that the further from Seattle the more likely they would be.
Port Townsend allows DIY, not sure about staying aboard, but they are apparently closed for May because of the virus. You could probably find more with a better worded google search than what I tried.
Old 08-05-2020, 13:11   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Frankly, buying a boat not needing restoration may be economically sounder,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 13:20   #8

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It almost always is, but most of us are not into boats for economic reasons.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 13:45   #9

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI ketch

Try Picks Cove in Tacoma.
Mother1ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 15:16   #10

Boat: Tartan 33

I don't think so, unless you move the boat into an empty field somewhere. Don't laugh--people do that.

Canal Boatyard in Ballard and Port Townsend Boat Haven are two places you can do your own work. It's not cheap; lay days add up fast. You'll need to have a HEPA vacuum sander, or rent one from them. Ivaylo (Canal) runs a tight ship, and he'll call you, politely, on anything you do that might jeopardize his yard's environmental compliance. IMHO that's as it should be. I haven't been to PT Boat Haven since 2014, but I'm going there when they finally open this Summer to haul the boat and do some work. Nothing against Canal. I kept my boat in PT for years and just miss it. Last time I was there they'd added some water recapture systems around the yard, so I assume they're looking hard now at environmental regulatory compliance too.

I've used both yards for years. I was at Canal two years ago for bottom paint and new rigging. A week in the yard cost me about $1,900 (35' sailboat). That's just for the various yard fees, unstepping and storing the mast, hauling out, pressure washing, blocking, reblocking, re-stepping the mast, and splashing. I did all the work myself, working about 16 hour days with a long break in the middle. You want to get in and out as fast as possible.

I'm guessing the days of living cheaply on your boat in the yard while you work on it in the evenings and weekends are long gone. If I'm incorrect please let me know. We all want to save a buck.
Old 08-05-2020, 15:23   #11

Quote:
All boats need restoration!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 15:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysails View Post
Hi!

This is my first post, so be gentle.

I'm moving to Seattle in 2 or 3 months, and I would like to buy a cheap boat, restore it, and then live on it eventually. I've been looking around Seattle though, and it seems many marinas either don't have dry dock areas or charge exorbitantly high prices (e.g. $1/ft/day) for dry dock.

Does anyone know of any places I could work on my boat every day for an affordable rate? Bonus if I can also live on the boat while working on it. I'm imagining a 30-40 foot boat.

I'm open to creative options as well as marinas with affordable dry docks (e.g. I have never worked on a boat before and am not sure if I should also be considering perhaps just buying a tiny plot of land to put the boat on--would that even be feasible without a crane? is a crane necessary for repositioning a boat on jacks/stands?)

Thanks!
The further you are off the beaten path from Seattle the better your odds. Everett has Dagmar's Landing where I THINK you can work on your boat when it's hauled. Much further away across Puget Sound is Port Townsend where I imagine you can work on it too.
Most marinas I've been in don't seem to care if you work on a boat EXCEPT for major projects. But working inside, working on the mast and rig, etc are common. Varnishing is not a problem but painting outside or sanding is. Some people go anchor to sand woodwork..
My advice is if you want to live aboard and work on the boat... get a boat that needs things that won't interfere with life in the Marina and you will be OK. Nothing too smelly or messy. Living aboard in the boatyard may be a bit tough now days. But may be possible if you look hard enough, just not sure..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 15:48   #13

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

You might look into La Conner Maritime. It's about an hour north of Seattle, in La Conner but they have a huge yard and normally let people work on their own boats. I just had my own boat in for work over the winter, and had a great experience with their crew. With the covid-19 going now, you'll likely find many yards are closed to exactly what you want to do. I'd urge you to look outside the Seattle area. There's many nice yards, including LCM in La Conner.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 16:33   #14

Quote:

Yes!

People thinking they are going to save money building their dreamboat or restoring one will never get their money back.

But if you get enjoyment out of a boat restoring hobby as you say you do then go for it
Old 08-05-2020, 18:37   #15

One story that really inspired me many years ago was of three young French guys that built a yacht "Damien"then sailed up to Manaus (Amazon) and then down to Antarctica.
The journey - Gérard Janichon - Damien | Gérard Janichon - Damien

Tags
boat, seattle