Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2024, 15:55   #1

Airconditioning on Hylas 44

Has anyone put A/C in their boats lately. I need everything, including generator.. I'll need venting, new unit etc. Any idea on price?? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AS ALWAYS.
Suju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 00:47   #2

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Airconditioning on Hylas 44

It depends where you are. Stand alone units cost around $1,500 for 16,000 BTU. Relatively simple install, you keep the air ducts to a minimum, run the water lines to the location that you need. If you find a good location on the boat, the additional cost of ducting will be minimal and the water lines are cheap and easy. This will include a remote, digital controls, wifi, all good. You do not need a generator at first. Most people run the AC only at the marina, when you get out there you do not need the AC.

The problem with the above is that it is a little noisy since the compressor is in your cabin. There is no way around it, these silencing kits do not work. You get accustomed to the noise and usually the heat in the marina is so unbearable that you accept the noise. In the winter, it is different. It is much more quiet and most people prefer to run a diesel heater that produces good, dry heat at virtually no noise and it is much cheaper than the AC. So, I prefer to run the diesel heater in the winter, even though I have marine AC.

There are two ways to improve on the above. One is to install split units, with the compressor in the lazarete and the evaporators in the cabins. These systems cost serious money, figure double, usually it is 1 compressor for two evaporators, more ducting is required and you need someone to install it. It adds up. I would say, around $10k for 3 units for your boat. My (motor) boat came equipped with a split type system, 2 compressors, 4 evaporators, 30 years old. The quote to replace it all was $15,000. I chose to install 2x 16,000 self-contained for 1/5 the cost, run the water lines myself.

The second way is to use a household split type air conditioner. These are very cheap ($600/unit), quite robust, very quiet... excellent value for money. But you need to deal with the external unit placement, which will be difficult on your boat. I was in London the other day and all the river tourist boats have external household air conditioners mounted on top. If it is good enough for commercial service, it would be good enough for us, cruisers. However, most people here frown upon this solution, it looks ugly, etc. On a powerboat, it is easier to find a place for the external unit. On the Hylas, you need to figure it out. Technically, you could also put it in a locker but you need to ensure huge air flow, i.e. open hatch and ducting when operating. Not practical on a sailboat. You may want to look at automotive units mounted on top of the hatch but these are expensive (smaller market) and ugly, so the worst of both solutions. The only benefit is that it could be temporary and you get rid of it when you do not need it.

MV Ithaka
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas