Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 14:02   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
Alaskan Yellow Cedar & Epoxy

I’m interested in a yacht that used the above materials in a 4 layer construction. I’ve heard it’s a good timber to use but I’m wondering about 40yr old epoxy and how that holds up. Also I’m still to learn about keel attachment in the construction and whether it’s external bolted on or internal ingots or whatever the standard method is. Any knowledgeable input appreciated.
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 15:23   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Alaskan Yellow Cedar & Epoxy

Hi, there,

Four layers? what type of construction? How are the layers arranged? What kind of epoxy?

Ann
Old 22-07-2018, 16:06   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Would you worry about 40 year old polyester resin in a glass boat?

Ann has posted good questions to consider.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, there,

Four layers? what type of construction? How are the layers arranged? What kind of epoxy?

Ann

Hi Ann, this boat seems to be drawing me like a moth to the flame! Built by John Guzzwell in Hawaii. All I know at this stage is it’s 4 layer cold molded. 5/16” timber strips. I’m waiting for Guzzwells book, Modern Wooden Yacht Construction, which I have on order and it appears it explains Johns method on a sister ship. I’ll take a look at the yacht in a couple of weeks time. Was West System Epoxy around 40yrs ago I wonder?
Old 22-07-2018, 17:42   #5

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

It's cold molded I 'm sure. Should last indefinitely if the outer skin isn't broken. They usually have a layer or two of glass on the outside and sometimes on the inside also. Light and strong construction method. Well proven.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:59   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post
....... Was West System Epoxy around 40yrs ago I wonder?
Yes

https://www.westsystem.com/gbi-history/
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have recently done some passages on a cold-molded boat that used Alaskan Yellow Cedar in various places. Only 25 years old, but tight and in very good order. If the initial construction was good, I would have no fears.
The ballast is probably external, bolted on.
Old 22-07-2018, 19:50   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Until carbon fibre came along cold molded was the lightest/strongest way to build a boat. Especially well suited to one off construction as it's built over a male frame mold often with longitudinal stringer for additional reinforcement. Each layer is encapsulated in resin so little fear of water intrusion and cedar is especially rot resistant should water somehow seep in. Exterior of hull is usually sheathed in glass for protection against dings. An internally ballasted hull would be possible but would expect that almost all would have a bolt on keel. Sweet Okole, a cold molded Farr design, is nearing 40 years old and has been actively/heavily raced it's entire life including multiple TransPacs and also suffered a T bone ramming. Still looking good and winning after all those years.

I thought about buying Guzzwells boat when it was for sale some years back. It was a boat designed for expedition cruising to anywhere. John was a hell of a sailor and builder. If the boat met your needs I'd jump on it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 20:15   #9

Thanks guys, all good info. It’s very much a yacht of its era...twin forestays, hank on sails & manual windlass, original motor too, so could need lots of $$$$ thrown at it.
Old 22-07-2018, 22:10   #10

Hi, Amnesia, sounds like a fun boat, if well built. Yes, epoxy was around in 1980...and well before that, too!

I like to think of this kind of boat as "nature's carbon fiber". Good stuff. However, do prefer to have an inner forestay. The double stays fwd, they are not a problem, can fly downwind twins off them.

Good luck with her.

There's a new CF ad today, a one-off built in Sweden, same vintage, cored hull. Nice looking boat. Straight spreaders, not swept back, so you can really wing out the main. It would be an adventure to go see....and it's summer there!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 23-07-2018, 17:11   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

I recently surveyed a NZ built double diagonal cold molded yacht. Every internal plank had a split down the grain some were over 300mm long and at least 2mm wide! The boat was roughly home built and I think the builder never used enough glue to hold the planks in place.
Nothing wrong with cold molding, if it is John Guzzwell of Trekka fame who built her I bet she is a good yacht.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:53   #12

Boat: Albin Vega 27

[QUOTE=Amnesia II;2679581]Hi Ann, this boat seems to be drawing me like a moth to the flame!

hi amnesia

did you end up inspecting her ??

i too have been following sunrise from afar and as much as i liked the look of her thought that 47ft, with a 7 ft draft may not be the ideal set up for moreton bay and me.....

be interested in what you saw if you're willing to share

kk
keelkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:04   #13

Hi, keelkicker,

I understand your misgivings about the draft, but, we've been sailing Moreton Bay off and on for the last 25 yrs. or so, and never had less than 2.2 m. draft. You can't go where the catamarans go, but you just anchor further out, away from midgies and sandflies! Of course, I understand the bias towards more shallow draft boats, but really, one copes. If you lust after the boat, go take a look, or another one!

Ann
Old 06-08-2018, 02:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, keelkicker,

I understand your misgivings about the draft, but, we've been sailing Moreton Bay off and on for the last 25 yrs. or so, and never had less than 2.2 m. draft. You can't go where the catamarans go, but you just anchor further out, away from midgies and sandflies! Of course, I understand the bias towards more shallow draft boats, but really, one copes. If you lust after the boat, go take a look, or another one!

Ann

Well, I drove up to Booker Bay, near WoyWoy to look at Sunrise. A deposit has been already taken by the broker, so, I missed out for now.
Old 10-08-2018, 22:53   #15

If you're looking for a nice, smaller boat, we saw a kind of nice Elliott up the Clarence R. Did not see it below, but the Elliotts are nice boats. There's also a fast tri for sale up there.

Ann

Tags
alaska, epoxy