Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 18:45   #1

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Algae during storage

Its now time to take the boat out of the water up here near the Canadian border. I put her in storage and over with a tarp and in the spring the clean deck and cockpit is covered with green algae, adding a good two days to getting her back into the water.

Is there anything I can put on the fiberglas deck and cockpit before the tarp goes on that will prevent the algae from developing and keep my nice white deck pristine?
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:37   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Algae during storage

Zed,
You need to have air vents in your tarp or leave a small opening at the bow and the stern for circulation. When you're up North, this is difficult to prevent and mold/algae are always a problem when you tarp a boat for storage. I hope this helps.
Old 15-09-2017, 07:59   #3

I've found algae grows readily with just a simple A frame tarp with open ends. I really dont have an answer to avoid that. A low pressure washer is good in the spring for initial cleanup.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:15   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Clean the boat and wax it before storage. If it's clean less stuff will grow on it and the wax will make getting off what does grow much easier.
Old 15-09-2017, 08:45   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The comments regarding ventilation help. But in climates with snow, condensation under the tarp is absolutist unavoidable (the snow remains cold after the air warms).

Subscribe to Practical Sailor and you would know this trick:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...n_11798-1.html

The algae killers sold to pool owners are based on benzalkonium chloride and are very effective as preventer. Simply dilute (a few ounces to the gallon) and spray the boat. It's cheap and has been tested to be harmless to all boat materials. Wet-and-Forget is basically the same thing at a much higher price.

Also good on the roof of your house. Lowes or Walmart.

Old 15-09-2017, 09:17   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"benzalkonium chloride"
IIRC that's a quatenary (?) cleaner and discourages future growth too, which is what the OP needs. Waxing a hull actually would put wax, aka organic mold food, on the hull before storage, so a less digestible synthetic polish might be a better start. Followed by a lasting mold/mildecide, perhaps renewed at least once over the winter.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 18:30   #7

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, with the howling winds of winter, the tarp is quite ventilated. So the Pool and the Wet-and- be expensive look like a good option.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 08:59   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The comments regarding ventilation help. But in climates with snow, condensation under the tarp is absolutist unavoidable (the snow remains cold after the air warms).

Subscribe to Practical Sailor and you would know this trick:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...n_11798-1.html

The algae killers sold to pool owners are based on benzalkonium chloride and are very effective as preventer. Simply dilute (a few ounces to the gallon) and spray the boat. It's cheap and has been tested to be harmless to all boat materials. Wet-and-Forget is basically the same thing at a much higher price.

Also good on the roof of your house. Lowes or Walmart.

Thinwater,
Have you found the above product to be effective against black mold on nonskid--a by-product of even the most meticulous Winter layup in the Midwest? Thanks

Tags
storage