Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2006, 06:33   #1

Boat: Currently an Achilles 24
Aluminium Catamaran possibly steel

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of building and sailing a 45ft monohull sailboat and was in the final stages of producing the design. I am still going to finish the design but will not be making the boat for my personal use although I still believe it is a beautiful boat.

I am still thinking of making the monohull sailboat but I am very interested in a catamaran. I'm after a link for a designer who has stock plans of a catamaran for construction in aluminium or steel, preferably ally for the weight saving.

The design should be suitable for a circumnavigation. I think something in the 40 -45ft size range.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards
Steven
Steven Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 06:54   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Crowther had at least one. They are no longer in the small yacht business but I believe one of their ex employes now has rights to their old plans.

You might give them a try.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 09:24   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Steven,

I believe Crowther no longer sells stock plans, but they have sold a lot of Mk 85 plans - maybe you can find some plans on eBay. You could look up Easton cats out of Oz. Lizard yachts, also in Oz sold plans, but I don't know if they still exist. I seem to recall a designer - Peter Winn (?) who had ally cat plans. You can try Pro-meta in France - they build strongall cats - don't know if they sell plans. For steel, look up bodenboatplans.com - the Catrina plans. If something else comes to mind I'll add it later.
Cheers,

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 12:40   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Prince
I'm after a link for a designer who has stock plans of a catamaran for construction in aluminium or steel, preferably ally for the weight saving.

The design should be suitable for a circumnavigation. I think something in the 40 -45ft size range.
Not really a ali or steel design, but Richard Woods designs have been built in GRP, marine ply and cedar strip, and he is a serious designer who tests his own products. Worth sending him an email http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/
Old 31-10-2006, 15:19   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Didn't the Dashews design and build an aluminium boat?

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 16:13   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Steven, what are your reasons for going ally over composite construction?? [ notice I did not mention steel ]

Interestingly I did my apprenticship building big ally 100ft + motor yachts but my own boat is composite.

Dave

Google " silkline 50 " nice ally cat
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 17:34   #7

I believe the Dashews have built three alloy boats.
Old 31-10-2006, 17:40   #8

Mate, the Dashews have built a flock of ally boats but I think you'll find there mono's. But would'nt be the first time I was wrong.

see http://www.setsail.com/binn/homepage.taf

great site and plenty of info why they chose power over sail and the cost comparrisons and reasoning to both.
Old 31-10-2006, 18:34   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
now that you mention it, you're right, they were all mono's.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:14   #10

Boat: Currently an Achilles 24
Ally Cat

The reason for wanting to use aluminium was for repeat beachings. Less worry about damage being caused to the hull/ paint. Another option is to construct it out of wood and put a stainless plate along the bottom, but I do like the idea of an all ally boat.

Please keep the suggestions comin in.
Steven Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:19   #11

I think the site is gone now, but a few years back a fellow built a 48' alloy cat in his backyard (his own design) on one of BC's Gulf Islands. Great site with lots of photos. Anyway his marriage soured, and he sold the boat to a couple of Aussie brothers. Only few months ago, the boat was still in Silva Bay - being fit-out at great expense. There's a traditional boat-building school there btw. If you look up Osram VII you might find something about it on the web.
Oh yeah - this site is still up: http://users.ozwide.net.au/lizard/

Kevin
Old 01-11-2006, 15:30   #12
cruiser

Catamaran

Steel would be to heavy for a cat. Go alloy
Tabarly's trimaran was a great success . He did nothing to it but sail her. I'm surprised that aluninium hasn't become standard material for big cats given Tabarly's success with it.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 20:10   #13

Louis, youre right, Eric Taberly did have success with his tri but that was around 40 years ago if i'm not mistaken. If you were to ask him today i'd put money on him having some carbon, epoxy,kevlar, nomex,foam monster.

Steven, while I have never had a problem with an ally boat, you will have to be carefull of electrolisis. I have seen and worked on boats that have actually had bubbles along the waterline like an aspro disolving, and have cut vast lumps out of said affected boats after 12 mths in the water.
Also you can't use copper based antifouls and ther are a few other probs for the unwary.

Do your homework.....Saying that, if these problems were adressed properly I would think about it but maybe a 40 ft cat on 50 ft hulls so as to carry the extra weight a bit better.

Steven, the cat im building at the moment will be beached regularly as was my last one . All we did was put 6 layers of 600gsm double bias about 300 wide down the centreline with staggered edges and if you really want to get carried away put a ground macadamia nut shell mixed in with epoxy shoe down centreline while hulls are upside down.

I can assure you that this is more than adequete [ unless belting into reef and rocks]

Hope this helps

Dave