Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 07:13   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Aluminium diesel tank with bronze elbo and copper pick up tube. Corrosion potenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Many aluminum boat owners will be surprised by this statement.
Good point! How about, if your aluminum tank will be exposed to saltwater be sure to install zincs.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 07:29   #32

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Aluminium diesel tank with bronze elbo and copper pick up tube. Corrosion potenti

For gasket material, go to an auto parts store and get the cork/neoprene stuff like is used for pan and valve cover gaskets. Rubber just squeezes out.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 07:36   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
One wonders how aluminium hulls last so long, considering that they float in saltwater full time.

Jim

In all honesty it is hard to understand that and to correlate it with the fact that aluminum fresh water tanks rot out, and aluminum black water tanks especially fast, apparently even fuel tanks.
I don’t think anodes is the answer, but don’t know what is.
Is all corrosion actually an electrical thing? Can you protect from chemical corrosion with an anode?

As near as I can tell my tanks remain clean and dry on the outside unless there is condensation on the outside. I have not seen that, but this last Winter I fought condensation inside of the boat, so I can see how it’s possible under the right conditions.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 12:27   #34

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

I originally had the karropak gasket stuff From the auto parts store was to thin for my application. I thought rubber would do just fine. Next time I inspect the tanks I'll use the buna stuff which I assume is fancy rubbver
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 14:35   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
In all honesty it is hard to understand that and to correlate it with the fact that aluminum fresh water tanks rot out, and aluminum black water tanks especially fast, apparently even fuel tanks.
I
One possible explanation is that the tanks are not made from the same 5000 series alloys that hulls typically use. I know that the aluminium diesel tank that I had made for our previous boat was from a 6000 series alloy. It developed a pinhole leak in a weld after a decade or so which I repaired with epoxy, and was still in non-leaking use when we sold the boat at 17 years age. BUT, it looked like crap on the outside!

Jim

Tags
corrosion, diesel