Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 02:21   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Aluminum bowsprit paint (finish)

Anodizing is the best option but in case of painting I would use Awlgrip CF primer to give that a try

More important to isolate other metals from the aluminum with mylar sheet, bushings, Tef Gel etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 02:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you can drill and tap all your fastener holes, as well as doing any welding (like doubler plates, end cap, etc.) BEFORE you anodize, you'll be miles ahead. Then bathe everything in Tef Gel as you put it on.
I leave my aluminum raw, and limit other metals touching it (for example, the pin that holds the bowsprit heel in the aluminum bitts is aluminum too), but have had no problems with corrosion from SS fasteners because of Tef Gel.
Old 17-08-2020, 05:05   #18

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Sorry I was too exhausted yesterday to call my catamaran expert friend and ask about your vessel. Well, you have just about all the information you need thanks to the wide experience of the good folks here.
I haven’t tried the Awlgrip primer but Jedi is usually correct and often more on the cutting edge of technology. I’m still in zinc chromate. Nasty stuff.
Anodizing a small part is definitely great. Benz is very correct. Do all your welding, drilling, tapping, first. Clean the welds up as nice as possible.
I love Tef-Gel. If you are going to anodize, ask them before using the Tef-Gel.
We have some powder coated deck chairs. Chips and peels on the feet. Not perfect but they look ok from 10 feet. I don’t know about vinyl. Bare is fine.
There was a guy who put some type of clear coat on his mast but I lost the page. Pretty but maybe hot to handle. The only reason I paint my decks is heat from the sun. Nice boat. One last caution about bowsprit. I built a custom Bruce King. Added a 4 foot bowsprit. Laminated clear Douglas fir. Ballistic all bronze mounting to deck. Hurricane. Snapped off at stem because tip of bowsprit nosed under the anchor chain. Lost the rig. I still love bowsprits.
Happy trails to you. Mark, a still building manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, bowsprit, paint