Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 06:51   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Amiot brand traveler bearings

Our Amoit traveler car is spitting out plastic pieces on our 1996 FP Tobago. Can anyone tell me the number and type of bearings we need? Also, anyone have experience fixing this on a Tobago? It looks as if there is only room to get the car half off without completely removing a pushpit - a big job! Can one sneak the new bearings in there with the car still half on the track?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 08:17   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Amiot brand traveler bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Our Amoit traveler car is spitting out plastic pieces on our 1996 FP Tobago. Can anyone tell me the number and type of bearings we need? Also, anyone have experience fixing this on a Tobago? It looks as if there is only room to get the car half off without completely removing a pushpit - a big job! Can one sneak the new bearings in there with the car still half on the track?
I don't know the specific boat, but...

1. The balls are probably available from the hardware maker and are probably Torlon, Delrin, or some similar engineering plastic. They can also be purchased from McMaster Carr and others (save a few, remembering that they are worn). The number varies.
  2. No, you cannot fit some in. It has to come off. Then you can estimate the number.
  3. Fitting them if varies in difficulty with the design. Some require a loading car section. Generally, the car must be upside down.
Not a terrible job, but you will want to get info from the maker.
Old 30-03-2017, 08:30   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Take the traveler off... STOP! You just lost all your balls slide traveler to end of track after removing end stop. Look undeneith and when hole appears stop and let balls fall out.
Collect and take to chandelrey buy new same size balls.

Take traveler off and turn upside down. Put in balls. Turn up the right way. STOP! You just lost your balls again (I'm enjoying this). OK, so Put in balls and then block holes with detergent. This slows the balls rolling. Don't use grease as grease gums it up.
Turn traveler back over and slide into track.

Lastly, rinse the detergent out
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:05   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

Yeah, well, looks like I gotta remove a pushpit. Three stantions and some toe-rail. Still, thank you for the input.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote