Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 08:14   #16
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by North26West80 View Post
The reason for a timber cradle is because normally in a yard the boat rests on its keel and jack-stands balance it but carry little weight. In the scenario I described earlier, the cradle will carry the full weight of the boat at some point. I'm not so sure jack-stands or the ground they rest on are rated for that kind of load.
This looks like the way to go. How does this sound?
The cost of the Timber cradle is very reasonable. About the cost of one jack stand. I can cement the uprights into the ground (this should keep the bracing to a minimum). and then cut them off when I move the boat****. I've got 7 stands now so I will place the timber cradle at the lift points and use the jack stands to support and balance the rest of the boat. I'm planning a lot of work on the boat and the timber cradle will help with many projects. Extending the uprights higher than the boat will allow me to rig a lift to get the Engine out. (the mast is not stepped so using the boom is not an option).
Now all I need to do is wait until the ground thaws.
****FYI the boat sits in an industrial area used to store Job trailers, excess equipment, etc.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 15:18   #17

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by North26West80 View Post
...in a yard the boat rests on its keel and jack-stands balance it but carry little weight. In the scenario I described earlier, the cradle will carry the full weight of the boat at some point. I'm not so sure jack-stands or the ground they rest on are rated for that kind of load.
When you drop the keel, or raise the boat, you are losing a lot of the weight. If you build a cradle, make it so that you can detach the keel, jack the boat up, fix the hull, and lower the boat back onto the keel. Frozen dirt oughta hold you just fine.

I thought the work was going to be done at a boat yard (?). Sounds like they are trying to burn someone a new one. Try this: Put boat on travel lift; lower boat to set keel into hole in ground 2/3's of keel depth; unbolt keel; raise boat; set boat on multiple jack stands or cradle; repair fiberglass damage, lift boat; position over keel; lower boat onto keel; rebolt; lift and splash. This should not cost more than twice a normal haulout for the 'lift and move' parts of the process, no where near $36,000.

Bring it here - I'll get ya patched up for half price! ;-/

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 07:00   #18
tsl

Boat: O'Day 39
Re: An Update on the O'day 39 that Was Dropped from a Crane

Go to this thread for the complete details of the rebuild. O'day 39 project boat - Page 6 - SailboatOwners.com
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote