Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2022, 06:00   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: anchor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
...People denigrate the anchor we have now- Bruce- but it seems to be fine too.

I wonder if it has more to do with technique than anchor.

Actually, it probably has more to do with the bottom type. I've had both. Delta and Bruce can do very well in many bottoms, but they are not as universal and will fail in very soft mud or very firm bottoms. Both will drag easily in very soft mud, neither can penetrate very firm mud or sand, and Bruce does not like weed. They also require larger sizes for similar hold (which is not a big deal if you have the right size). Technique helps, but does not overcome fundamental weaknesses. They are good anchors, and if you have the right size, use it!

(The definition of very soft mud varies. In the Chesapeake, very soft means you can shove a paddle in 2-3 feet with one hand, not trying hard, and walking you would sink to your waist at least.)
Old 29-07-2022, 06:20   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Actually, it probably has more to do with the bottom type. I've had both. Delta and Bruce can do very well in many bottoms, but they are not as universal and will fail in very soft mud or very firm bottoms. Both will drag easily in very soft mud, neither can penetrate very firm mud or sand, and Bruce does not like weed. They also require larger sizes for similar hold (which is not a big deal if you have the right size). Technique helps, but does not overcome fundamental weaknesses. They are good anchors, and if you have the right size, use it!

(The definition of very soft mud varies. In the Chesapeake, very soft means you can shove a paddle in 2-3 feet with one hand, not trying hard, and walking you would sink to your waist at least.)
We are a little firmer down on this part of the Chesapeake Bay with only sinking maybe to your knees in marshy areas.

Seaside is worse though........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 14:37   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
. . . Delta and Bruce can do very well in many bottoms, but they are not as universal and will fail in very soft mud or very firm bottoms. Both will drag easily in very soft mud, . .
Soft mud is a very difficult bottom type. My Rocna did very badly in soft mud -- the roll bar would collect a ball of mud around it and it wouldn't set. Only anchor I've ever used that did really well in that was Spade, and that only if you set it very, very carefully, letting it "soak" for a long time before trying to back down on it.

I agree with all the rest of your post even if I didn't quote it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 23:21   #49

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Well, I am glad we have once and for all agreed on what anchor is best.

We did, right?
Old 30-07-2022, 04:21   #50

We did! I'm buying a used 60 lb bruce for my 20' Cal (150 bucks with chain). I'll probably leave it in the water like I would a permanent mooring with a buoy attached to it. I have a Danforth I can use as a stern anchor.
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 11:52   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
We did! I'm buying a used 60 lb bruce for my 20' Cal (150 bucks with chain). I'll probably leave it in the water like I would a permanent mooring with a buoy attached to it. I have a Danforth I can use as a stern anchor.
Just in case anyone thought i was kidding. I do plan on leaving this in the water with a mooring buoy on it. I have smaller Danforth anchors I can use as a lunch hook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220730_144852528.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	261917  
Old 30-07-2022, 15:33   #52

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Perfect. Good find and the right price.
Bop not the manatees on the noggin.
Congratulations. Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 16:20   #53

A sidelight on the Bruce - it stows so beautifully :-0!

Not big deal for you Cyrano, but I just LOVE the way my Bruce stows on my 30 footer: Shank lies flat on deck with the bow roller nested snugly in the "elbow". A "devil's claw" holds the shank, and therefore the entire anchor, in place when stowed.

The "tongue" of the Bruce goes on the side of the stemhead where the roller is (stbd) and nestles against a wooden pad on the hull. A "wing" snugs up to a wooden pad on the other (port) side of the hull. The pads are dimensioned to prevent the anchor from wobbling when stowed.

When she's "in" with the chain still in the gypsy, clap the devil's hook on the chain, a link or two inboard of the shank, haul taut the tail of the devil's hook and belay it on the idle forward starboard side mooring cleat.

Gives me a little jolt of pleasure every time I do it :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2022, 18:06   #54

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
A sidelight on the Bruce - it stows so beautifully :-0!

Not big deal for you Cyrano, but I just LOVE the way my Bruce stows on my 30 footer: Shank lies flat on deck with the bow roller nested snugly in the "elbow". A "devil's claw" holds the shank, and therefore the entire anchor, in place when stowed.

The "tongue" of the Bruce goes on the side of the stemhead where the roller is (stbd) and nestles against a wooden pad on the hull. A "wing" snugs up to a wooden pad on the other (port) side of the hull. The pads are dimensioned to prevent the anchor from wobbling when stowed.

When she's "in" with the chain still in the gypsy, clap the devil's hook on the chain, a link or two inboard of the shank, haul taut the tail of the devil's hook and belay it on the idle forward starboard side mooring cleat.

Gives me a little jolt of pleasure every time I do it :-)!

TrentePieds
Since I often deploy 2 anchors I keep two of them stowed side by side on the bow rollers.
Old 30-07-2022, 18:59   #55

Where you are that's eminently sensible, I do believe. Here in the totally benign Salish Sea, in behind that ginormous breakwater we call Vancouver Island, one is enuff :-)

Tho' I do carry a fake Danforth on my taffrail. What are they? Fortresses :-)?

But in the Salish Sea, you are never more than two hours from a luvverly hidey-hole.

I was in False Creek for provisions. A lovely lady stepped onto the dock off the deck of a boat that musta cost twenty times what I paid for my little cockleshell and asked if I knew False Bay (eight or ten miles away on Lasqueti Island).

"Sure", sez I, ever helpful, "clear the mole and your rhumb line is 350T. The wind is down-strait so you be on a close reach. Take you maybe three hours."

"Oh, no", sez she, " we wont be going today. Wind is far too strong. Must be blowing 20!"

Like I said, Salish Sea is ever so benign. Most of the time :-)!

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:46   #56

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying this for my cal 20. I know it's a little big but I'll be living in an anchorage and I don't mind overkill, especially since I'll be leaving boat most days to go to work.
I have also read about knock offs. Should I worry it's fake?
40 years experience with anchors on boats and reviewing every anchor test that comes along tells me two things that are relevant for your situation-

1. Anything is better than a Delta. Worst anchor of them all.

2. Danforth is a great anchor in one direction but doesn't reset reliably.

So anything other then Delta or a danforth would be fine.

I have an illogical dislike for CQR but they work well, are cheap and widely available used, and seem to be the anchor of choice for crusty old timers (except myself) and anchor outs who live on the cheap.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:51   #57

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Just in case anyone thought i was kidding. I do plan on leaving this in the water with a mooring buoy on it. I have smaller Danforth anchors I can use as a lunch hook.

Good stuff. If it's good enough for oil platforms it should be good enough for you!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:34   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

I had a Delta Fast Set on my previous boat a Caliber 35. First, I didn't like it, could not set it easily. But then I chartered a 40+ Beneteau in the BVIs. It came with a Delta Fast Set. I was not happy. But to my astonishment I learned how to set it and from then on, I loved it.
Important when setting the anchor is the correct scope length! Too long or too short a chain it will not set. When returning to the Chesapeake Bay even with all its muds floors, I had no more problems.
Now I have a 45 CQR with all chain as my primary and a 37 Fortress as a second anchor. I have a Beneteau 461.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:25   #59

To answer your knock off question. They might not have the quality control, like bad welding, cheap materials , etc. Also anchors require good balance, i.e. heavier kn the tip. Etc.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:52   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
40 years experience with anchors on boats and reviewing every anchor test that comes along tells me two things that are relevant for your situation-

1. Anything is better than a Delta. Worst anchor of them all.

2. Danforth is a great anchor in one direction but doesn't reset reliably.

So anything other then Delta or a danforth would be fine.

I have an illogical dislike for CQR but they work well, are cheap and widely available used, and seem to be the anchor of choice for crusty old timers (except myself) and anchor outs who live on the cheap.

I've noticed there are quite a few lewmar claw (look just like the big Bruce I bought) anchors for sale in my area. Some that are more appropriately sized (22lbs). I might get one as a stern anchor or for use as when I'm traveling around.

I mde the mistake of looking up some threads about the lewmar Bruce style anchors and of course no one seems to agree one way or the other. But maybe worth a try.

Tags
anchor