Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2022, 06:49   #76
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: anchor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've seen some people avoid the twisting with them both off the bow by running the 2 rodes to a large swivel, then from there to the boat (allowing the boat to spin freely above the anchors).

That would mimic Manteemans setup but doesn’t allow you easily adjust or raise individual anchors quickly which is something I feel the need for.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 13:42   #77

Boat: Island Packet 40

I don't bother with any special arrangements on a two anchor setup. Occasionally the boat will 360 so I just uncross the rode and chain and hang a loop of the rope rode over the bowsprit.

To retrieve the anchors I pull the chained anchor into the roller then just throw the loop into the water and pull the rope rode anchor.

The spread tends to depend upon what I am responding to, a blow usually about 60 degrees to either side of the bow and for wind against tide, one upstream, one downstream.
Old 07-08-2022, 14:07   #78

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

We do like it for a more permanent setting in anywhere you have two opposite currents or tide flows...easier than a big Dor-Mor.
The Hammerlock Moor is well discussed in Knights Modern Seamanship by Captain John Noel. It’s an expensive text book that has been published for almost 100 years and is a classic reference book for professional mariners.
You can find a copy on a lot of Navy ships and it’s frequently used in USCG courses. Lot of information gathered from the experiences of ship captains worldwide. It will answer a lot of your questions.
Again, after going to Kodiak, we switched anchoring systems as we believe it is easier to set and adjust. Yes, construction of a waterline strong point is necessary but the results are worth the costs. The advantages of the Kodiak system have been proven by vessels routinely anchoring offshore in truly frightening conditions. We don’t debate what works for fishermen in these Alaskan waters.
Captain Mark and the manatee crew who were invited to go for a short trip from Kodiak but after seeing the weather forecast, hid under their hotel beds.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor