Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 16:40   #811
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Re: And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris07732 View Post
The extension really improves the look of the boat. It's rather "chunky" without it. The bad news of the link is the price of the boat. Considering your years of effort, $80k Cad to buy the boat in Turkey means the value of your man hours in sweat equity may be seriously low. Are you sure of the conversion rate?
€ 55,000 - Google Search

Building this boat is a dream, a dream taking form and what it costs me in money or time or effort is of absolutely no consequence.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." - Greg Anderson
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 00:02   #812

From some points of view life is all work.

You might as well work at something you like
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 01:31   #813
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
€ 55,000 - Google Search

Building this boat is a dream, a dream taking form and what it costs me in money or time or effort is of absolutely no consequence.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." - Greg Anderson

Great attitude! (You know they say attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure.)

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 12:32   #814

Boat: 44 footer

For sanding down puttied highs that are done with a 1 foot sheet rock trowel, I use a hutchins flexible long board with 36 or 40 grit.

Item Detail

It flexes enough that you can push on the front end, and put a feather weight touch on the rear edge until it is up onto the high. Makes life a lot easier than using foam blocks like your durablock, or the very hard 3M vinyl backed long boards. Both of those will dig a hole, if you put much pressure onto the board. You can put a layer or two of blue painters tape around the puttied highspot, and keep from digging a low around it.

Once you can't feel any flex where the board rides up onto the high... it isn't high anymore. Kiss it lightly with a stiff board on 80 grit and buzz it down with the DA or 80 on an electric orbital and move to the next spot.

You ought to be getting pretty close to the high build stage. You might consider rolling her in 5 or 6 coats of unthickened neat epoxy, with a lot of white pigment in it. On penny pinching projects, I like to epoxy coat before priming. Once you've amine washed and broken the shine with sanding, Green food coloring in denatured alcohol works great as a guide coat. It soaks into the sanding grooves a touch and shows you the low spots. I normally machine sand out with 80 grit until the green is a haze, and then long board out with 120 and break out the finger tip smoothness indicators.

6 coats of epoxy works out to be about 20 mils dry. To do that with primer you've got a lot more material to get to the same place. 545 goes on 5-7 wet and ends up 2-3 dry.

On big budget jobs I use awlgrip sprayable fairing compound through an airless sprayer and make her brown, but that doesn't help you below the waterline.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 12:51   #815
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Zach

Thanks. I'll try to assimilate all those tips!

I'm gaining better control with the Flexicats and have a new appreciation for the 22 x 4.5' board. It's a real workhorse. I can apply pressure as you suggested on the leading edge and less on the trailing. I think I've gotten most, if not all of my high spots down to a decent level.

My buddy's coming this week, he's an experienced builder and I'll let him be the judge of how well I did on the sides. I do intend to put on a few coats of epoxy to seal up the fairing compound before primer, which is actually a barrier coat much like Interprotect 2000e. I'll use your food coloring guide coat tip too! I do have some 3M dry guide coat but I'll use that after the primer is on.

I'm onto fairing the bottom & keel now. At least I won't have to apply as much care & attention to that as the sides. I did notice today that the Quikfair is much easier to work with at 75 degs than it was at 60. Much better control of it but I had to work faster. I'm working alone so it's all got to be done in relatively small batches.

Thanks for looking in. I really do appreciate the feedback.
Old 18-06-2014, 12:56   #816
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My buddy Peter came all the way from Montreal today to do some sanding! What a guy!

First he went down the side with a Flexicat then that wasn't 'nuff he jumped up on the boat and started feathering down the tape seams! The man is a virtual Sanding Machine!

I wish I could clone him!

Web Log Updated: M/V She:Kon: Not a whole lotta action
Old 20-06-2014, 13:17   #817
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today's update is brief. Yesterday Quikfair'd the stbd bottom panel from about the bow thruster to the back of the keel. A pretty big area to cover. I had intended to go all the way to the transom but by the time I got to the end of the keel it was 95 degs in the shed and the Quikfair was kicking off on the mixing board. Today was spent sanding tape seams and then that entire area I Quikfair'd yesterday.

I made a lot of dust.

Old 22-06-2014, 10:50   #818
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Took the day off yesterday. Bummed around, got groceries, did the dishes, made the Ole' Woman dinner so it was ready when she got home from work. I know, I'm whipped. Oh well she works hard and has to pay for the boat so I guess I shouldn't complain!

Web log updated: Just a quick update. M/V She:Kon: Took the day off
Old 23-06-2014, 18:25   #819
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reminds me of an old tune: Web Log Update

Too tired to post more. Standby....
Old 25-06-2014, 04:23   #820
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I often get asked 'how much is this boat going to cost?', well I've tried to track what we've spent over the years and capture that in a spreadsheet. I've always had a spreadsheet online to share with other builders/dreamers and have now included a couple of spreadsheets on our web log to illustrate what it costs: M/V She:Kon: Added a few features
Old 30-06-2014, 12:08   #821
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Got an extra set of young hands in the shed today! Poor kid, I'll ruin him for sure!

Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: More hands make light work
Old 30-06-2014, 12:18   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I often get asked 'how much is this boat going to cost?', well I've tried to track what we've spent over the years and capture that in a spreadsheet. I've always had a spreadsheet online to share with other builders/dreamers and have now included a couple of spreadsheets on our web log to illustrate what it costs: M/V She:Kon: Added a few features
Those spreadsheets always cost me more than they save me... In order to accurately tabulate such expenses, it takes Rum...

Old 30-06-2014, 13:40   #823
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Those spreadsheets always cost me more than they save me... In order to accurately tabulate such expenses, it takes Rum...
Rum I got!

But I'm not allowed on eBay when I'm on the rum. Admiral's standing order!
Old 30-06-2014, 13:55   #824

You understand the vicious cycle well...
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33   #825
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Two of us managed to get 5 hrs of sanding in on the keel. A few more hours dealing with little details on the fairing then it's almost ready for epoxy coat then primer. If I were hazard a guess we'll flip this whale over somewhere around the 30th. of this month!

Tags
boat building, bow shed, construction, fairing, Flexicat, home built, paracelle, stitch & glue, trawler