Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2010, 13:10   #1

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Another Autohelm / Raymarine Autopilot Question...

We're anchored here in Mazatlan waiting for a temp fix to be made on our old Autohelm 5000 linear drive. We'll replace it once we get back to the US. The question: will the new Type 2 linear drive work with our old Autohelm 6000 computer (attached to a 7000 control head)? Raymarine says yes.... but I'm skeptical, in that the Type 2 drives draw more power than out existing drive, and that the Type 2 needs the heftier core pack. So... have any of you used a Type 2 linear drive with a 6000 computer? I really don't want to do a several thousand dollar experiment. Thanks.
Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 08:45   #2

Boat: Dufour 38
Steve,
It will work as Raymarine said, but as you suspect, it may not stand up under a heavier load of a type two drive. The big difference in computers that can handle the type two drives is beefier transistors. With a 37 footer, why not stay with a type one drive? Is your 6000 computer the ST version?
DG
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 09:15   #3

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Capn Dan- thanks for the response. Yes, the computer is an ST6000. My main reason for considering the Type 2 drive is the displacement of our boat. It's 'spec' displacement is 22,000 lbs., but I believe were probably closer to 28,000 lbs, and as I understand it, the Type 1 is recommended for boats up to 20,000 lbs. I really only want to buy a linear drive once, and was hoping that I'd be OK with the existing computer... and if (when) it needs to be replaced, I'd go with the 30 corepack. But I'd prefer to not have to buy a new corepack at this time. Any thoughts??? Maybe it's best to just stay with the lighter drive (the existing one is a 5000) as it's worked OK for the last 14 years.
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 09:17   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
You didn't say which series core pak you have. Raymarine and presumably Autohelm had three types with progressively greater output current capability; S1, S2 and S3. If you have S2 you are good. If you have S1 maybe not so good.

I say maybe because the current that the heavier linear drive will draw depends on the boat, its steering gear and the wind conditions. If you don't put any heavier load on the new unit than you did on the old, you should be fine as the current draw will be approximately the same. But the new unit will draw more current if it sees a greater resistance and that may be the problem.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autohelm, autopilot, raymarine