Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 14:40   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Antifoul Paint - Do you add any 'extras'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althebass View Post
Adding chilli powder works well. I added 100g of Hot Chilli Powder per 2.5 litres of antifouling paint. I did test areas with and without the chilli. The result, after six months in a high growth area, was convincing. The downside is that it makes the surface a bit rougher. Why dry, I lightly sanded the surface before the boat went back in the water.
I have also used Chilli powder it worked great. Got the recommendation from an old dock builder that said they used it with house paint prior to antifouling,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 14:42   #32

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
Wow, you sure told him. That was great. He'll know better than to ask any stupid questions around here, won't he. So clever!
What he said was too logical for you?

He's absolutely correct. The companies are competing with each other so if there was a better way at last one would be doing it.

Whatever happened to that new bottom paint company that was claiming that their paint was like the skin of a fish and barnacles don't stick to fish?
Old 08-01-2017, 14:56   #33

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Wise ass. What about a jigger of Scotch per gallon.
C'Mon guys, let's be nice and compromise: Baileys & Coffee!
Old 08-01-2017, 15:00   #34

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Whatever happened to that new bottom paint company that was claiming that their paint was like the skin of a fish and barnacles don't stick to fish?
I think that was shark skin wasn't it? I believe testing is on-going. You know how this works, takes years so the paint companies can come up with an alternative..
Old 08-01-2017, 15:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post

C'Mon guys, let's be nice and compromise: Baileys & Coffee!
That works for me. Surely we aren't painting the bottom with it.

Why the hell paint the bottom lets just party.
Old 08-01-2017, 15:04   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I think that was shark skin wasn't it? I believe testing is on-going. You know how this works, takes years so the paint companies can come up with an alternative..
Sounds about right but they were selling it (at least advertising it) a few years ago. I haven't seen any ads lately.
Old 08-01-2017, 15:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Jeezus- the reason adding peppers to anti fouling paint doesn't do anything is because the fouling organisms don't eat the paint. And even if they did, there is zero evidence that peppers increases the efficacy of anti fouling paint, despite what the occasional kitchen sink chemist or old salt from 3 slips down might infer.

I am trying to get the gist of it.
How does TBT work if other ingredients do not, with the organisms not eating the paint but have to adhere to it? Please explain.

Around 30 years ago when we were allowed to use TBT it worked well, then owning a timber boat in a Toreedo worm infested area it was of great concern,
the only way I found was to put the ablative anti-foul on at the correct wet micron thickness (hard to achieve without pump spray equipment) and three coats and keep moving the boat.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:22   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
I am trying to get the gist of it.
How does TBT work if other ingredients do not, with the organisms not eating the paint but have to adhere to it? Please explain.
The metals traditionally used in anti fouling paints (tin, copper, zinc) are toxic to most fouling organisms, especially the higher forms like shelled animals.

Anti fouling paints are designed to continuously leach these metal biocides into the boundary layer of water, very close to the hull. This provides an environment that is hostile to the fouling organisms and retards their ability to colonize the hull. Once the majority of the biocide has been depleted, the paint becomes increasingly ineffective.

Anti fouling paints are complex matrices of resins, binders, pigments and biocides. Simply tossing in some random ingredient that you assume is going to make it work better, won't.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:30   #39

Quote:
The metals traditionally used in anti fouling paints (tin, copper, zinc) are toxic to most fouling organisms, especially the higher forms like shelled animals.

Anti fouling paints are designed to continuously leach these metal biocides into the boundary layer of water, very close to the hull. This provides an environment that is hostile to the fouling organisms and retards their ability to colonize the hull. Once the majority of the biocide has been depleted, the paint becomes increasingly ineffective.

Anti fouling paints are complex matrices of resins, binders, pigments and biocides. Simply tossing in some random ingredient that you assume is going to make it work better, won't.
Thank you! I'll keep putting on the 20 litres at the correct thickness.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:34   #40

Quote:

I believe the tin, copper, zinc and lead killed the barnacles. The ticket is probably making them no want to take residence. I can remember just scrapping off the foot of barnacles. That adhesive was synthesized to make dental fillings.
Old 08-01-2017, 15:35   #41

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Your informations is years out fo date. Here is what I found when doing some quick research on the subject. This is the gist of the International Maritime Organization's ban on TbT anti fouling paints:

International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships

Adoption: 5 October 2001; Entry into force: 17 September 2008

​The Convention prohibits the use of harmful organotins in anti-fouling paints used on ships and establishes a mechanism to prevent the potential future use of other harmful substances in anti-fouling systems.

Annex I states that all ships shall not apply or re-apply organotins compounds which act as biocides in anti-fouling systems. This applies to all ships (including fixed and floating platforms, floating storage units (FSUs), and Floating Production Storage and Offtake units (FPSOs).

This is the President of the United States, George W. Bush, asking the Senate in 2008n to ratify the ban, which they did:

TO THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES:

I transmit herewith, for the advice and consent of the Senate to its ratification, the International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-Fouling Systems on Ships, 2001 (the "Convention").

Organotin-based anti-fouling systems are specifically regulated through the Organotin Anti-Fouling Paint Control Act of 1988 (OAPCA), 33 U.S.C. 2401-2410. New legislation is required to fully implement the Convention and will take the form of a complete revision and replacement of OAPCA. All interested executive branch agencies support ratification.

I recommend that the Senate give early and favorable consideration to the Convention and give its advice and consent to its ratification, with the declaration set out in the analysis of Article 16 in the attached article-by-article analysis.

GEORGE W. BUSH

THE WHITE HOUSE,

January 22, 2008.

Here is the U.S. Coast Guard Commander in 2012, giving instruction on enforcing the ban on TbT anti fouling paints in U.S. territorial waters:

Thank you for sharing updated information with me.. Quite frankly, I have lived in the Caribbean for 23 years now, and it's been 10 since I've been in the states, so your comment holds merit and thanks again for the updated information. Still though, most people down here use TBT paint. Cheaper, works better, lasts longer and it's not illegal anywhere here except USVI.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:50   #42
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
...it's been 10 (years) since I've been in the states...
But that didn't stop you from making a broad, uniformed statement about commercial shipping in the U.S. that turned out to be categorically untrue, did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
Still though, most people down here use TBT paint. Cheaper, works better, lasts longer and it's not illegal anywhere here except USVI.
Wrong again. Here are the Carribean nations that have ratified the ban on TbT paints:

Antigua & Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Vincent & The Grenadines
Trinidad & Tobago

Tributyl tin is one of the worst poisons man has ever intentionally introduced to the marine environment and only those who selfishly (or ignorantly) believe their actions have no impact on the environment would consider using it in an anti fouling paint.
Old 08-01-2017, 17:28   #43

Boat: 1975 30 ft dutch steel cruiser

HEY HEY HEY ! is this gonna be another bunfight ! seems like some of you guys forgot to take your tablets...love the " want what the submarines use" ...well I'm sure I know ...they use sailors to scrub it off..... daily.... they guy that used the term " douchbags"... well, theres no words to say how I feel about him but I love a good shouting match.... CF is getting hairy and I for one love it !
.... lets hear more from the neanderthals and you moderators , stand back, at least for a few posts, Norman (on the midi)
NV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 17:43   #44

Boat: Duncanson 37

Problem is that all these Billion dollar corporations are restricted in what they can use and restrictions are getting tighter over time as we migrate to becoming a 'nanny state."

My mate Bob adds pure copper powder 100 gms/litre to his antifoul and gets great results. No need to sand to expose Copper, just make sure antifoul is mixed well and often during application to keep powder in suspension.

Around here, this treatment doubles time between anti-fouls.
captainozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 17:45   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainozzie View Post

Around here, this treatment doubles time between anti-fouls.
What does that mean? How long between haulouts for new paint with the copper addition?

Tags
paint