Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2010, 14:51   #1

Boat: 40 Caliber LRC
Any Advice on Using a Window Air Conditioner While at the Dock ?

I am going to be doing alot of work at dock in NC this summer. Hot and humid. I have heard of sailors using window air conditioners mounted through port holes. Would love to here from those who have use this method to stay cool.

Bob
rnjpinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 15:01   #2

Boat: Freedom 32
We used a $200, 8,000 BTU AC from Home Depot last summer while at the dock in Ft. Myers. Worked fine up to 98 degrees - then it had trouble keeping up.
Old 13-03-2010, 15:47   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thumbs up Have one as a backup

I have a 12000 btu window shaker as a back up. Have had a couple of problems in the past with my mermaid, and always happened when I was off Island and the darling was by herself, but those have been sorted out.

Used the window shaker placed in the companion way, and cut a sheet of armaflex/rubatex to fill the void, The unit actually cycled off at the 79F setpoint in September in the Caribbean!

It's in the dock box on stand by.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 18:42   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
We use an el cheapo 5200 btu unit mounted in the companionway. I cut a piece of plywood to fit in place of the hatchboards, then cut a hole in the middle for the A/C. It's a pain to get in over the top of it, but you can't beat the price comparred to an installed system. It'll keep up with the heat if you remove the sunload (awning).
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 19:07   #5

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
We mounted an window air conditioner above a hatch. Made a shroud out of plywood with a baffle separating the inlet and outlet air flows. A bit of foam gasket to seal some gaps and we had a cool boat.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 06:10   #6

Be aware that air conditionning a boat can bring condensation (= rot and rust) and electrolysis.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 06:25   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
We came to the Jax Fl. area in 05. We have used window air conditioners for every summer season. I build a box over the hatch with foam board that has the silver shiny side, and tape for this same board.

I Put in a deflector on the inside to seperate the exhaust, and intake. I don't know which is worse on a hot, humid, still air night, or the insects, but the a/c keeps both out.We have sat through several hurricanes with winds up to 90 mph, and the tape around the bottom perimeter kept the unit in place.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 06:40   #8

Boat: 40 Caliber LRC
Would love to see see a pic of your set up
Bob
rnjpinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58   #9

Boat: Westsail 32- Jealanun
Send a message via Yahoo to rvgammill
Dock AC

I bought a Zenith at Home Depot, which I place in front of my forward hatch blowing into a cowling I made from 1/4" plywood. 8 tons for 150 bucks, start up at 8 amps. Be sure to hang it so the water runs out of the AC drain hole (and boat) instead of into the V berth.

The parameters are that it was the lowest start up amperage (about 8) and cheap because a season in salt will probably kill it. Using 12V fans in cabins to circulate air, I have survived heat to the upper 90's all summer with a cool interior.

The amperage is very important because a 30 amp circuit does not leave a lot of wiggle room for keeping the ice box and other equipment (like your 10 amp saw) from topping out beyond the circuit breaker load. Many window units start up at 12-15 amps, enough to trip the breaker when other things start simultaneously or if you just have a decent load running.

Vic
rvgammill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Be aware that air conditionning a boat can bring condensation (= rot and rust) and electrolysis.
Not so - Air Conditioning will help to eliminate (mitigate) humidity & condensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgammill View Post
... Be sure to hang it so the water runs out of the AC drain hole (and boat) instead of into the V berth...
The condensate will likely be highly mineral; so either install a drain hose (discharging directly overboard), or wash the deck drain path often (daily/weekly). Otherwise you’ll get deck staining.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote