Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 15:09   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Any final suggestions/tips. Installing aluminum toe rail on alberg 30.

So I am installing a disgarded toe rail on a 1964 Alberg 30. (Toe rail profile in pic)

- I have removed the original teak toe rail, aside from the recently rebuilt Taft rail, and the stem head/bow rollers (that’s a project in itself.)
-I have all openings taped off for the time being.
-all deck connections and seam are in good condition
-there is some corrosion and I’ve popped off a few what I could only identify as river heads? I think these are the original fasteners.
-I will be filling with thickened epoxy
-the Plan is to paint freeboard and top side then install the toe rails with stainless steel fasteners (I’ll look into width recommendations) I will wrap those in Teflon tape prior to setting
-I’ll use a series of clamps and a helper and will most likely be bedding in butyl tape

Prior to reinstalling the toe rail I would like to bring it back to life. It’s just sun beaten dull black now. Any suggestions on best practices would be appreciated.

The toe rail if ever fastens to boat has obviously been straightened or was never installed I’m leaning towards the former. It’s in great condition and I was able to get it for a song so it’s going on!
Should be hopefully as straight forward as I have planned barring regular hang ups but any suggestions or tips from people that have done it previously would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows more specifics on the very early alberg construction regarding those corroded fasteners I’m all ears!? I have been considering glassing the seam but to be honest to my eye/knowledge it seems like a strong connection still. I already have a pretty ambitious refit schedule so if I could avoid 40 plus hours glassing the seam that would be the ideal.

Thanks in advance. My signal is very weak so please excuse any late responses etc.

Best,
Solitaire Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630966121.642523.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	244823
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 19:19   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Any final suggestions/tips. Installing aluminum toe rail on alberg 30.

Alberg 30: the Boat
You may find useful information here.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 00:47   #3

Boat: Alberg 30
Any final suggestions/tips. Installing aluminum toe rail on alberg 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Alberg 30: the Boat

You may find useful information here.

Thank you, definitely familiar. Though I hadn’t read the hull deck section before. Seems I’ll be fine removing the rivets.
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:55   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Any final suggestions/tips. Installing aluminum toe rail on alberg 30.

"Installing aluminum toe rails on a 1968 Alberg 30. We used clear anodized slotted toe rails supplied by Crest Aluminum, item #2807CL. They have holes for 1/4" flat head machine screws on 4" centers going through the hull to deck joint. Since the original teak toe rails were missing on this boat, the switch to aluminum saved time over new teak, are more functional, stronger, and will be low maintenance".

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, aluminum