Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 08:07   #1

Boat: Olympic Sea 42
Anybody removed bow double bunk cabins to make a big single cabin?

Looking at a boat that has double bunk cabins in the bow with heads between them and wondering about ripping it all out and making a big cabin with a double bed - anybody done this? should I just look for a different boat?
ScubaTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31   #2

Re: Anybody removed bow double bunk cabins to make a big single cabin?

Are there any structural bulkheads?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Are there any structural bulkheads?
Think just the doorframe bulkhead is structural based on other models of this boat with a full cabin at the front. The divider between the 2 sides doesn't seem to be.

Would that make sense? Boat is a GibSea 126 and I am struggling to find documentation online that will help with definitive answers...
Old 06-02-2019, 03:53   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaTyke View Post
Looking at a boat that has double bunk cabins in the bow with heads between them and wondering about ripping it all out and making a big cabin with a double bed - anybody done this? should I just look for a different boat?

OK this is just hypothetical as you are still looking for a boat? You haven't mentioned what size you are looking at?

I have a chain locker underneath where the legs of a sleeping person would be. I thought of filling in the "V" to make it a double bed.

Then the occupants would have to dress outside the shower/toilet so a door to give them privacy would have to be installed at the frd end of the main cabin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Roberts design.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	185368  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:13   #5

There seems to be two different layout for the Gibb Sea 126. Which is the one you are looking at?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Gibb Sea 1.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	185369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Sea.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	185371  

Old 06-02-2019, 04:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
There seems to be two different layout for the Gibb Sea 126. Which is the one you are looking at?
Looking at the one on the right with the bunks and wanting to convert it to the one on the left with the double bed.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.

Hi, ScubaTyke;

I have done exactly that on Diva, a Cuttyhunk 59. Granted, at 50 on deck I have a few more feet to play with than your prospective Gibsea, but the layouts are actually pretty similar.

Here's a photo of the way I got her. The original owner ran a sea school for rich kids, and thus wanted as many bunks as he could get. Both cabins had double bunks, with access to a head forward and saloon aft: Salon and Forward Cabin "Before" Photo; Aug 6th, 2002 - Complete deck lift forthcoming; re-design of forward cabins in process. Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

My intention is to travel with another couple, and perhaps try my hand at crewed chartering someday, such that I wanted a second cabin as spacious/comfortable as the aft owner's cabin. Now...here's where the ROI logic of all this gets muddy, as I was for all intensive purposes gutting most of the boat and rebuilding her anyway, so the forward cabin was a natural part of the bigger plan. We eliminated the port cabin door so that a queen berth could go there: Salon Forward, Gutted; May 19th, 2005 - The port companionway door has been eliminated to create the queen bunk for the forward cabin; an L-shaped settee will wrap around the fore bulkhead. Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

Here's the berth, pre-finish (I just realized I never posted a varnished beauty shot of the cabin's port side): Forward Cabin Port; May 19th, 2005 - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

On the starboard side, I put in hanging lockers fore and aft of a desk: Interior Woodwork: Forward Cabin - The desk, Starboard side. Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

And here's a shot that gives you some notion of the gangway thru to the head: Forward Cabin Sole, Final Coats On - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

So, sure, you can get anything you want in a boat with enough money and time. Where you'd do the work, and whether you'd do it yourself or hire it out will have a big impact on both. I've come to terms with my grief at serving as the How Not to Do a Refit poster child on this forum, and would warn you not to attempt this project in the Caribbean unless you can be on-site full time...or else like me, you risk waking up 17 years later with your boat still on stands.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:42   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

For cruising storage space is usually at a premium, Also when on passage or in an anchorage you get the most noise and motion in the bow. This all make forward cabins less than Ideal. Would be more inclined to keep one as a sleeping cabin, maybe adding an additional fold up bunk, and convert the other one to storage and a workshop. Maybe while doing the work looking at changing the anchor storage to both increase its capacity and move the weight further from the bow.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:50   #9

Geoff, looks like you have done an amazing job there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S. View Post
Hi, ScubaTyke;

I have done exactly that on Diva, a Cuttyhunk 59. Granted, at 50 on deck I have a few more feet to play with than your prospective Gibsea, but the layouts are actually pretty similar.

Here's a photo of the way I got her. The original owner ran a sea school for rich kids, and thus wanted as many bunks as he could get. Both cabins had double bunks, with access to a head forward and saloon aft: Salon and Forward Cabin "Before" Photo; Aug 6th, 2002 - Complete deck lift forthcoming; re-design of forward cabins in process. Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

My intention is to travel with another couple, and perhaps try my hand at crewed chartering someday, such that I wanted a second cabin as spacious/comfortable as the aft owner's cabin. Now...here's where the ROI logic of all this gets muddy, as I was for all intensive purposes gutting most of the boat and rebuilding her anyway, so the forward cabin was a natural part of the bigger plan. We eliminated the port cabin door so that a queen berth could go there: Salon Forward, Gutted; May 19th, 2005 - The port companionway door has been eliminated to create the queen bunk for the forward cabin; an L-shaped settee will wrap around the fore bulkhead. Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

Here's the berth, pre-finish (I just realized I never posted a varnished beauty shot of the cabin's port side): Forward Cabin Port; May 19th, 2005 - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

On the starboard side, I put in hanging lockers fore and aft of a desk: Interior Woodwork: Forward Cabin - The desk, Starboard side. Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

And here's a shot that gives you some notion of the gangway thru to the head: Forward Cabin Sole, Final Coats On - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

So, sure, you can get anything you want in a boat with enough money and time. Where you'd do the work, and whether you'd do it yourself or hire it out will have a big impact on both. I've come to terms with my grief at serving as the How Not to Do a Refit poster child on this forum, and would warn you not to attempt this project in the Caribbean unless you can be on-site full time...or else like me, you risk waking up 17 years later with your boat still on stands.
Old 06-02-2019, 19:52   #10

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Anybody removed bow double bunk cabins to make a big single cabin?

Quote:
Think just the doorframe bulkhead is structural based on other models of this boat with a full cabin at the front. The divider between the 2 sides doesn't seem to be.

Would that make sense? Boat is a GibSea 126 and I am struggling to find documentation online that will help with definitive answers...
I have done exactly what you are describing with my 51.4 Beneteau Cyclades, it was just a matter of removing the separating wall just thin sheet of marine plywood. I thenhad a carpenter make me a beauty of a king size bed which I have been enjoying on my travels up and down the Carib. The two bathrooms starboard has become the master bathroom while the port one I have converted into a storage room. My boat was designed though for that conversion possible without incurring any structural compromises with a breeches of bulkheads that can be disastrous in blue water cruising. FYI Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 20:53   #11

Quote:
Geoff, looks like you have done an amazing job there.

Couldn't agree more.

Geoff's yacht puts most luxury production boats to shame. But then they are built to a price.

Clive
Old 07-02-2019, 10:26   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Scuba and Clive, appreciate the kudos. Mine is a textbook example of "While we're at it" run amok. While I'm not quite out of the money-hemmoraging phase, the real regret is all these sailing years lost, compared to a less-perfectionist model. I bought the boat when I was 41...I'm 57 now. That's some serious Deferred Gratification. But, I hope to make up for it in my early-semi-retirement soon!
Old 07-02-2019, 10:28   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And Ernie, I'm already envious of your king-sized bed. Hmmm, if I just rip out that desk and lockers....
Old 07-02-2019, 10:33   #14

Boat: Freedom 32

Such a radical plan modification scares me. This is not a 3BR house where you are talking about knocking down a non load-bearing wall. I’m no engineer but there is much more to consider than function than function of space. Weight and balance quickly come to mind. I suggest taking this question to a naval designer.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:35   #15

Thanks for all of the responses, all opinions is what I was looking for. I spent several hours going over the nearly 100 pictures that I have and decided that other boats will make better options for me - the search continues :-)

Tags
cabin, single