Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 09:50   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Anyone have a Valiant 40 with a Charlie Noble?

Not sure where this thread is supposed to go.........

But I am looking for photos or ideas from anyone who has seen a Valiant 40, 76-80's that has a Charlie Noble. I purchased a diesel stove for mine and am undecided about where to put the stovepipe and the Charlie Noble? There is obviously the most direct route, straight up, but that puts it in an awkward place on the deck, takes up half the space for walking around that side. Any luck running the pipe elsewhere? My stove manufacturer recommends straight pipe. But Im wondering if anyone else has gotten a Dickinson diesel stove to run decently with a few 90deg turns in the stovepipe?

Thanks.
Vandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:04   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Anyone have a Valiant 40 with a Charlie Noble?

Not a Valiant, but I have the Dickinson Antarctic aboard and placed on the starboard side of the mast. The original installer ran the pipe straight up which put the charlie noble about 1 foot away from the mast at 45 degrees. Horrible location.

I relocated the Charlie Noble to a position directly in front of the mast using 2 articulating 45 degree elbow flues at each end of a 16" pipe. I also installed a barometric flue damper insert to prevent any excessive draft as a result of the longer run. You can partially see the run in this pic on the right side.

Finally I had a simple 4 post 1/4" stainless cage built to go over the Charlie Noble to prevent snags. (it also helps height challenged people put on the main sail cover.)
Old 02-04-2020, 14:59   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Anyone have a Valiant 40 with a Charlie Noble?

Hello, Vandra,

A "few" 90 degree turns will be a very bad idea, the hot air and other gases need the straight run to flow out properly. It won't draw right. We have two 45 degree joins, that allow the pipe to come out just aft and slightly to port of the mast, the furnace itself being hung on the keel stepped mast. We use a cap over the top of the pipe for normal sailing, and it is not obtrusive where it is, about a foot from the mast. We insert the Charley Noble when we want to use it. It is not out there permanently, but it would require a guard like Discovery71597 mentioned, if it were, to keep sheets from fouling it.

Ann