Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2021, 00:50   #31

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
Re: Anyone used "non stick" bottom paint.

Fisheries Supply up in Seattle has a coating by IONYX that is two part. I was thinking of buying their quart kit to try on a racing dinghy. My research on the company or the product comes up with nothing.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/brow...lar%20coatings

CopperCoat uses a ceramic coating made by Ceram-Kote #426 for their barrier coat
https://ceram-kote.com/products/

I'm up here in fresh water so it seem ridiculous and environmentally wrong to use a copper based anti-foul. I can try any of the ceramic coatings and if they don't work then they are just another coat or two of barrier coat.
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:09   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Are you thinking of “non-stick” coatings, such as used on cookware?
"TEFLON"® is a registered trademark of DuPont, for its line of fluorocarbon coatings. These coatings have excellent corrosion protection, non-stick, heat resistance, and low friction characters.
There are three main classifications of types of fluorocarbon coatings: PTFE, FEP, and PFA, with a fourth, that is one of or combination of the three, mixed with various resins. to increase its hardness and wear capabilities.
All “Teflon” coatings must have a bake to sinter or melt flow the coating. The curing, depending on the Teflon®, is usually 350°F to 800°F.
Yes, you are right, many people think Teflon is used as one cookware but their thinking is wrong. Teflon is a coating, it is used everywhere like boat cookware, etc., and its essentiality is huge.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
We just finished a bottom job on our boat. We used Petit Vivid which is a hybrid between ablative and hard. More like a hard ablative.
I’ve used VIVID for years on my saildrives. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, hard about VIVID.

TRINIDAD is a hard paint, but does ablate to some degree.

That said, TRINIDAD does not tolerate out of water for more than IIRC 72h
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint