Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2024, 13:49   #16

Re: Approximate cost at Shipyard

I completely get the temptation to just pay someone. 20 years ago, I wouldn't consider paying someone to do something I could do myself. But, 20 years ago I had more energy and less money. These days, there is an increasingly long list of jobs I would rather pay someone to do.

I find myself increasingly choosy about taking on those tasks that I find personally satisfying. Hours of sanding, for example, does not fall under that heading. But, sorting out and upgrading electronics - that's fun, for me.

I definitely would not be among the crowd that recommends you just do it yourself. I don't know enough about your financial situation, temperament, or interests. It feels like you are at a place where you know that you "could" do most of it, but are able to financially consider whether or not that would really make you happier.

And, I think that's at the heart of the matter - balancing your financial resources with what you derive pleasure from. Unless your finances are unlimited, there is always a bit of give and take, but I do think that is the "litmus test" about whether to DIY or hire: If I DIY such-and-such project, it will save me $5000, but I will dislike doing the work. Is that worth $5000 to me?

Ideally, the calculus works out the other way. That is: I could pay someone $5000 to do this job, but that would deprive me of the enjoyment I would get by doing it myself. That balance is what keeps most of us going. If you don't get a certain amount of enjoyment doing the work, it just becomes a money pit.

Maybe a good way to think of this is that you are in a fortunate position that this is a quandary.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 14:14   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Dang it Thomm… you are right, but this isn’t what I want to hear! I should just do it as I can save $20k easy doing my own decks and hull.

But all those blisters on me fingers!!!
Yep, it's all up to you, but if you do the bottom yourself, get a good quality respirator!

Well, now that I mention it a normal mask would probably work as these days you almost can have no paint dust flying off your hull as you sand anyway.

I had to attach my sander to a shop vac this past Winter at the boatyard even though it had a self vacuuming system that wasn't good enough. The lady running the yard told me I had to have it.

As far as paying some one, the blisters on your fingers are good because it shows you aren't sitting on your ass all the time.

As we age, we tend to exercise very little. Like raising your arms over your head. Many older people rarely do this especially with a load on their arms.

The best way to think about it is how you played as a 9-12 year old.

You need to try and do that as you age and boat maintenance like painting, sanding, climbing the mast is excellent for your body.

Most all of us here can pay to have our boats maintained, but that is just to easy.

It's like buying a chart plotter for hundreds of dollars and having someone install it rather than taking a few minutes to build and install your own for $17.00 to $150.00 using an old computer or RPi and OpenCPN. (plus a GPS Dongle)

If you don't know how, get off your butt and learn.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 14:17   #18

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

https://www.riggingandhardware.com/c-642-standing-rigging.aspx
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 14:26   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Replacing deck core will always be a bigger job than you think, and than the person doing it thinks. The guys who can do it fast and well will charge a premium, and will be worth it. It's not a DIY job for the faint of heart, and it's not a place to skimp.
Old 17-06-2024, 14:44   #20

If you are going to spray 2-part polyurethane paint, a simple respirator (even a full face) is NOT sufficient. You should be using an air supplied respirator. These are catalyzed with isocyanates, you really, really, really do not want them in your lungs.

It's just another expense that adds to the DIY bill.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 14:46   #21

Boat: Downeaster 38

I have 25 years of construction experience so I’m not really a “homeowner”. I am a professional carpenter with tens of thousands of hours of projects under my belt.

That said… you guys are 100% correct these kind of projects are a lot of work. It’s easy to talk about it all summer. It’s not so easy to get up at 6:00am on Saturday and Sunday to go work 20 hours on it every weekend all winter.

I’m getting where I don’t want to do my own home remodel work either lol.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 14:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Replacing deck core will always be a bigger job than you think
This.

I believe the OP when they say they know what the job entails. I also know what it entails, but I also know that I have selective memory and don't truly recall how unpleasant the job was the last time I did it. And, I'm wise enough to know that the job WILL come with surprises and most of them will not be to my benefit.

I know just enough to convince myself that I could do the job with my eyes wide open, but lack the experience to really understand how wrong I am.
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 15:13   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I have 25 years of construction experience so I’m not really a “homeowner”. I am a professional carpenter with tens of thousands of hours of projects under my belt.

That said… you guys are 100% correct these kind of projects are a lot of work. It’s easy to talk about it all summer. It’s not so easy to get up at 6:00am on Saturday and Sunday to go work 20 hours on it every weekend all winter.

I’m getting where I don’t want to do my own home remodel work either lol.
Why would you get up at 6:00 am and work 20 hours especially during the Summer months when you should be sailing?

Is there a rush to fix up your old boat?

I do my boat projects in Winter over a 4 month period. Even if the weather is terrible, you can still sand a couple hours a day on the weekends or after work. (btw my boatyard and boat are between work and my apartment. Work is 7 miles from home/apt and boat/boatyard is 2 miles from home/apt. Actual home is more)

Our boats are suppose to be for our entertainment as a fun hobby. Why make it a job?

I have had my boat in the yard 4X over the past 12-13 years counting when I bought it.

Except the first one at purchase, it was always for a 4 mouth period from Nov-Feb allowing the hull to totally dry out and then paint the bottom and sometimes topside hull along with other projects.

I sail the boat during the Spring, Summer, and early Fall.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 15:14   #24

In the last 5-years I've had a ton of general residential trades' work done during two remodels and one house flip. I've also had a major refit on my boat but that was in Mexico. Since Covid, seems general labor for tradesman - even landscapers - is running close to $700-$1000/day, at least 50% more than pre-Covid. When I was considering having my boat refit done in the US, I looked at backwater yards in north/central Florida. Even in 2017, I didn't find anything under $100/hr.

Now, I have to admit that a good fiberglass guy at $125/hour is more than 10x faster/better than I am so maybe it's worth it. But I ended up in Ensenada MX where skilled yard labor was $25/hr, though they didn't have all the equipment a higher end yard has so maybe wasn't quite as efficient.

Paint is in the order of $600/gal. You can easily run through $500 in sanding supplies. Plus 100 man hours, I just can't see a hull painting going less than $15k in the US.

While in the yard, I've watched core being replaced. It's not difficult work but it is a bit labor intensive with a lot of drying time between tasks.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 16:08   #25

Boat: Downeaster 38

Either DIY or professional I’ll do most of the work during the winter, thomm. We’ve been sailing.

I’m just saying it’s hard to get up and go sand on your hands and knees all day.

Weather is a factor too. Lot of cold and/ or wet off season here. One of the pro benefits is they can pull the boat in a shed and work in January
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 22:32   #26

Boat: Hunter 380

I'd venture $25000 to 40000 for the mast and boom and another $20 000 to 30 000 for the deck repair.

Quote:
I am thinking pretty seriously about having some of my maintenance work contracted out due to laziness/ time constraints. I am thinking it might make sense to let the pros tackle some of the big projects while I keep at the smaller more manageable stuff.

Additionally, yards can do some spray application etc. that I just can't outside on the hard at the marina. They will do a better job than I can.

I am going to have yards quote, but would like some idea of what to expect so I know what is in line. I would also like to have some idea how many of these projects I can afford so I can prioritize what projects I have a yard quote.

Downeast 38 (38 foot hull x 12 beam full keel boat)

1) Deck restoration and painting. This consists of core replacement in various locations and a whole deck/ cabin top paint job. I would guess maybe 15-20 square feet of core replacement and lots of cracks where deck meets toe rail and cabin top. I am a carpenter and can do this job, but I know how much work it will be... I also feel finished product will be better at the yard.

2) New rig. Aluminum Selden mast and boom (or similar) with new standing rigging and chainplates. I really can't do this job myself, but it's also probably not mandatory at this time. Just thought if I am doing the deck and hull maybe I should go the distance. Plus it would be a big piece of mind to know condition/ age of the rig.

3) Prep and paint hull. Two tone with trail boards. This is one I can definitely DIY, but it would be nice if I'm doing this much exterior restoration work to have the hull done in professional 2 part spray applied products.
cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 07:18   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
I am thinking pretty seriously about having some of my maintenance work contracted out due to laziness/ time constraints. I am thinking it might make sense to let the pros tackle some of the big projects while I keep at the smaller more manageable stuff.

Additionally, yards can do some spray application etc. that I just can't outside on the hard at the marina. They will do a better job than I can.

I am going to have yards quote, but would like some idea of what to expect so I know what is in line. I would also like to have some idea how many of these projects I can afford so I can prioritize what projects I have a yard quote.

Downeast 38 (38 foot hull x 12 beam full keel boat)

1) Deck restoration and painting. This consists of core replacement in various locations and a whole deck/ cabin top paint job. I would guess maybe 15-20 square feet of core replacement and lots of cracks where deck meets toe rail and cabin top. I am a carpenter and can do this job, but I know how much work it will be... I also feel finished product will be better at the yard.

2) New rig. Aluminum Selden mast and boom (or similar) with new standing rigging and chainplates. I really can't do this job myself, but it's also probably not mandatory at this time. Just thought if I am doing the deck and hull maybe I should go the distance. Plus it would be a big piece of mind to know condition/ age of the rig.

3) Prep and paint hull. Two tone with trail boards. This is one I can definitely DIY, but it would be nice if I'm doing this much exterior restoration work to have the hull done in professional 2 part spray applied products.
In the US, this is all crazy money. If you are able to take the time for a cruising season leaving the boat in Trinidad at Power Boats the costs are about 1/2 to 1/10. We had our 58 foot ketch painted waterline to the rail including raising the waterline stripe for $5000 US + materials in Awl Grip. The work was done expertly during hurricane season while we were in the US. We have also had the deck repainted, same affordable program. Varnish work is also easy, so inexpensive we hire it done. BTW, use only Man of War varnish, 10 or more coats to last in the sun. Rigging labor is also far less in Trinidad and you can skip the GST (tax) as a foreign vessel in transit. Importing stuff in your luggage is also tax and duty free. Arrange all shipping of too big stuff through the yard or rigger. Jessie James is the OCC port captain with his tour office in the yard. He can help make any arrangements even if you are not a member.

Power Boats is in Chaguaramas. Outside of the hurricane zone. Safe yard, great people, beautiful island, great tours.

jessejamesmembersonly@yahoo.com

https://powerboats.co.tt/

ROXY at Power Boats. Note the walk up steps. Shrink wrap is 8 inches outside of the rail. AC installed in a main hatch. Join the Salty Dawgs and make the transit south in their fall rally November first. For ROXY, 7-10 days to Antigua and another 48 hours to Trinidad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	291247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	291248  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 08:23   #28

Lots of variables on costs for this forum. I would contact the yard, contractors you want to use and go from there.
You might keep quality at the top of the list verse cost. Nightn’day in the marine industry.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 09:11   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Southern part of Lake Michigan.

I’m assuming decks may cost around $15k, new rig around $20k, and hull painting south of $10k…

All three items listed around $50k?

Anyone had any of these projects done recently? Am in ballpark?
but your boat not valid 50k
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...st-38-9130313/
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...st-38-9328288/
maybe time for buy new boat
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 09:24   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Back in the day, there were several " mobile" riggers around.

I attach a link as a "typical"....you'd have to check your own particular area. Just google " mobile sailboat riggers"

https://onboardrigging.com/services/standing-rigging/

I had all new rigging, turnbuckles, fittings, etc, done by one of these guys.
Can't recall what I paid, but it was substantial less than most rigging shops.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote