Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2024, 09:41   #31

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Approximate cost at Shipyard

We just paid $20,000 for Awlgripping our Sabre 402 last month. Clearcoat on top of that was another $5k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In the shop 2024.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	291254  
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 12:57   #32

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Southern part of Lake Michigan.

I’m assuming decks may cost around $15k, new rig around $20k, and hull painting south of $10k…

All three items listed around $50k?

Anyone had any of these projects done recently? Am in ballpark?
I was quoted $10k to paint the topsides of my Tartan 41ft, 10 years ago. I'm guessing it would be $15-$20 for the paint now.

A selden mast alone is probably $15-20k shipped. Why would you need to replace the mast? They are generally good for life of boat if not damaged or corroded for some reason and you can weld repair in places if needed. My rigging was about $4k in materials, 6 years ago and I installed myself. If you want the mast, boom and all new rigging done by a yard/rigger, I'm thinking $30k - $40k.

I was also quoted $10k to recore my foredeck in 2012 when I bought her, a 5 ft by 5ft area that I never did. Sounds like you have more extensive work. I'm guessing your deck will cost $20-30k today, and that would not be painting the whole deck. Just the effected area which will never match perfectly.

So that's a $65k to & 90k range for all 3 jobs. I'm in new england, so my prices may be higher than Lake Michigan...? idk
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 14:31   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I see you are in southern Lake Michigan. Our first paint job waterline to cap rail was at Torresen Marine in Muskegon. 58 foot big monohull, $10,000 in 2012. They do good work and they have an indoor paint shed and bake facilities
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:16   #34

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I've done decks, I've done hulls, I've done motors.
Deck repair is probably the most labor intensive and difficult work, except maybe installing an engine in a center cockpit boat.
It's not rocket science, just lots of labor, especially if theres coring involved.
The boat would need to be completely covered to protect the deck from being further damaged by weather while doing the work, so figure that into the cost.
If the boat yard decides to put it in a shed for this work I'm sure theres a charge for that.
Whats the boat worth to begin with, how much are you willing to spend?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:49   #35

If this was an automobile, you'd likely ask a few friends which auto service they use for repairs and maintenance...... and then you'd likely pick one. Use the same process for your vessel. Which yards have your friends used and been most satisfied with for cost-effective maintenance & repairs. Select the top 3 that are recommended and send your complete list to the services selected asking for approximate costs and time estimates .... and when they could start. Give all 3 the same list. Those are estimates you can use because you get current, agreed-upon Costs based upon what you submitted. Also realize that time of year the work is done may allow reductions in costs. Only the respective yards will know that info. Repeat with lower-rank yards if the info you receive is not to your liking.

-Just a thought-
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 15:07   #36

For the money being tossed about, you could buy a newer boat. The market is pretty soft right now. All the folks that bought boats because everyone was going to die during the pandemic.... now they don't want boats, rvs, etc.
They have discovered that just keeping a boat costs money! Shocking, right!?!?

I have a 33 ft boat and I paint my own bottom. I was getting tired of getting covered in red dust when sanding the bottom, so I decided to try using a drywall sander connected to a shop vac. I have never done a faster or better job sanding my bottom. Highly recommended. The 9" pad really evens out the surface. Much better than a 6" pad.

Regarding ridiculous labor rates: Have you considered going further north, such as Green Bay, etc. Generally the further north you go the labor rates decline. I have a friend who lives in Frankfort, MI. The pay rates up there are way below what is further south along the lake.

Painting with two part paints:
I have sprayed two part paints several times and unless you are ok with junk in the paint (bugs, dirt, etc), it has to be done indoors or at least in a tent. It's simply not feasible to do it in the open unless you are ok with bugs, dirt, etc in your very expensive paint. I only use one part paints in the open. If a horde of bugs decides to roost, I don't lose my mind. Its let dry, sand, repaint. Some of the one part paints are now very good. Not as good as two part, but a lot cheaper when it comes to overall costs.

Rigging:
I would try and find an older mast or extrusion that you can reuse. They are out there. There is a lot of boat scrapping going on. Standing rigging can be done yourself. Get a manlift and take down the rigging and measure it and have it re-made. Install it. Even West Marine will make up standing rigging to order.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote