Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2018, 13:29   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Are all teak oils created equally

Is there any real difference in teak oil formulations or are they pretty much the same thing. I have extensive teak in the boats interior that is oiled, would like an oil that has a darker color than light, wondering if there are any recommendations for a product.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 13:41   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
re: Are all teak oils created equally

I don't know if they are all created equal but I've had good luck with Watco teak oil, which is sold at Home Depot. Most of my interior is teak and I use it on the interior exclusively. Wipe it on liberally, let it sit 20 minutes, then wipe it off and buff. Dries to a nice satin finish, and is also easy to remove with a mild teak cleaner when necessary.

Pretty much all teak oil is going to darken the wood to some degree. In general, for a darker color, apply multiple coats.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:51   #3

Boat: Sabre 38

No, not all teak oil is the same. There is actually a large variation in formula and quality. I don't know why, it's just what I found when asking the same question a year ago.

I went Seafin for my interior teak. Price is on the upper end, but I understand the quality to be as well.

As for the color, I'm sure different oils will give different results. But at least a bigger factor is your prep, ie, how much do you sand down to new wood and if you brighten/bleach before oiling.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27   #4

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Not all the same at all. The good ones (expensive) are mostly tung oil. Cheaper ones use cheaper oil formulations (linseed for example). You can buy 100% pure tung oil for a lot less than the "marine" teak oils.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:07   #5

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

There is NO such thing as" Teak oil", it does not exist.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:17   #6

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Exactly. It's oil for caring for and preserving teak. The good "teak oils" are mostly tung oil. It pays to read the label before purchasing.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:57   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Agree, please read this article and take a good look at buying pure tung oil. You'll end up with a much better product than someone selling you a linseed oil product.

We used the regular pure tung oil but they do make a dark tung oil (with added natural resins). The finish is satin. If you wanted gloss, you could make your own spar varnish.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:57   #8

As stated, most teak formula and its cost are based upon the concentration of Tung oil within the mix as well as most natural varnishes. I personally just buy Tung oil especially for the interior of a boat vs teak oil which is mainly meant for exterior applications. According to the book "Painting and Varnishing by Peter Spector" A good resource available through Wooden boat Mag. the best way to apply tong oil is to apply it using Bronze wool with the grain of the wood, let sit for a few minutes then wipe down with a rag. What happens is the saw dust created by the bronze wool will fill in the grain of the wood with the dust and oil. repeated over and over it can make an incredibly polished surface. Another big advantage in applying tung oil this way is if you need to take a scuff out or need to apply more you can without worrying about having to remove the oil. It also dries to a hard, dry surface that will take varnish much better than bare wood.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 15:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Yes they are all equal, unnecessary and a pain for good old teak. They destroy teak and there is in fact not anything good in it.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 16:37   #10

Boat: Riva 48

In addition to the lineseed/tung oil ingredient (tung is better), different "teak oils" have different additives in them. You are better off using a teak oil with additives, especially for exterior application because it lasts slightly longer. Pure tung oil evaporates within a few weeks in the the California sun, so it requires frequent application. Best to go with what the boat builder used originally, i.e. Seafin for '80s Hunters.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 18:48   #11

Boat: Byliner 3258

This post is not about the type of oil, but the application. I searched for how often do you apply teak oil. I found the answer, once a day for a week, once a month for a year and once a year after. Seem to work good.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:51   #12

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Are all teak oils created equally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
I searched for how often do you apply teak oil. I found the answer, once a day for a week, once a month for a year and once a year after.

This seems like way too much work. The tung oil formulation we made for the cabin sole is holding up very well without this much effort.

Not certain the article link above is working so here it is again for the research we did to make a better product for interior application.

Phoenix's Flight: Phoenix's New Cabin Sole Part 3: Sealed and Protected with Tung Oil

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 12:25   #13

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Are all teak oils created equally

I ended up with Starbrite Teak Oil, wood very thirsty needing two coats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35627.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	170615