Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2022, 11:24   #1

Boat: S&S 52
At the top of In-Boom furling

So here it is, I got my dream boat and I am slowly learning that the dreams are entertaining. Doing things the way that Socks and I like to do them we figured that the best way to fix the running rigging was to just do it all and get it done. While doing this, we find that the way the halyard and the topping lift are ran is hmmmmm, interesting, ya that is a good way to put it. It turns out that there is a sheave at the top of the track of the main for the halyard to run over. This makes sense to me seeing that it is in-boom furling, it will give a nice straight up pull. But it is not the halyard that runs through it, it is the topping lift with the halyard running right next to the track. Is this right? I tried to post a picture but have no idea if it posted or not, but if it did. 1) is the sheave that had the topping lift running through it, and 2) is the halyard. Just the opposite makes sense to me not the way that it is set up right now. I am open to thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022.4 mast 1080p mark up .jpg
Views:	106
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	255916  
Boots and Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 13:55   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: At the top of In-Boom furling

Seems like if the topping lift comes out lower than the halyard then there can be interference between the lift and the head of the sail whilst sailing with the full main. So the current setup may well be correct.

Jim
Old 13-04-2022, 14:34   #3

Boat: Grampian 30

Just to be clear, your picture is of the current setup and:

1 = Topping Lift - running through the restrainer after coming out of the crane

2 = Halyard - coming directly out of the crane

If that is the case then I agree with your confusion. Similar to a restrainer used on the fore of the mast to properly align the halyard pull with a furler foil, the intended design here is the main halyard through the restrainer. Although the reason is likely not for alignment but rather a limit to max halyard lift, assuming the existing mainsail luff length is of original design for the system that has been installed.

Why is the restrainer there? Lacking a cunningham, many use the main halyard to adjust luff tension depending on the point of sail, or to compensate for the inevitable loss of shape as a sail ages. Cranking that main halyard super tight can put a lot of strain on the tack, which is ok if you have a loose footed sail firmly tacked to the boom, however, not ideal if you have a bolt rope footed main attached to a furling foil in the boom. Apply enough halyard tension and you can pull the bolt rope out of the slot unless a separate tack connection is part of the design, which it often isn't due to the mechanics of in boom furling. The designer of the system will have spec'd a max luff length for the sail and a corresponding max halyard lift height, which is where the restrainer has been placed (with potentially some minor variation depending on the bulk of the halyard termination of course).

Why your boat is currently set up the way it is I don't know. Perhaps the PO just didn't know what was correct and mistakenly swapped the halyard for the topping lift. Doesn't really matter though. Personally, I would switch it back to the way your gut is telling you which is halyard through the restrainer, and topping lift coming out of the crane from higher up. If the PO has further mixed things up and put a line of insufficient diameter where they halyard should go, because they thought it was only a topping lift, then of course you need to replace it. I can't tell from your picture.

Back to sail tweaking; if you would like the ability to adjust main luff tension then a cunningham is the way to accomplish this, so if there is not cringle in the sail for it, now is the time to have one installed, along with all the running rigging required to make it useable from wherever you prefer to have control (i.e. at the mast or in the cockpit). Personally, as a cruiser, I am usually happy with my main luff tension at max hoist and rarely wish to adjust it, although I do have a cunningham installed for those few times when I do. When racing on other boats, the cunningham is another welcome tool in the bag of tricks available to the mainsail trimmer.

Good luck with the running rigging refit. It has been one of the most satisfying improvements to my own boat.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 13:11   #4

Boat: S&S 52

@Nekton73 Yes that is correct the topping lift is going through the restrainer which tripped me out when I figured that out. It was just not making sense.

Faelan does not currently have a cunningham, but it is something that I have thought about. I do not really see racing her, but you know if there is someone else on the same heading it is on! Might have to look into installing one.

Thank you for the input
Boots and Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 14:00   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 47

You probably want the halyard through that retaining sheave. If the top of the halyard is exposed and rubs against the side of that protrusion you will get chafe.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling