Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 20:01   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Atlantic Towers arch schedule 40 or 80

I am in the process of refitting my 32 foot Catalina 320 for more coastal cruising along the California coast and maybe some day sailing down to Mexico. I have recently upgraded the electronics and added a Raymarine Axiom chartplotter. Next step is to add a radar (thinking of Quantum CHIRP wireless).

I have been going back and forth between different mounting options and future scenarios and I wanted to vet my thoughts on the forum. Here are my constraints:
  • Mounting a radar on the mast will cost me about $1,000 including mast mount, guard and installation. I am not comfortable installing it on the mast myself so I need a rigger to do the installation, which adds to the cost.
  • While researching alternatives, I came across Atlantic Towers in this forum (as always, thank you for the informative posts!) and got a quote: 101/02/46 schedule 40 for my boat is $2200 and schedule 80 is $2800, plus $350 for shipment. Until the end of the month, they have a 10% discount for NY boat show. So $1,980 and and $2,520 respectively, plus $350 shipment. I think me and my lady can install it ourselves.

Now I am debating whether it makes more sense to go for an arch for a difference of $1,330 (assuming schedule 40) and having the additional benefits of having an arch for the longer term, eventually, installing a davits, solar panels or wind generator. I also need space for antennas and such and I can certainly use the additional space.

Here are a few questions:
  • Does my thinking make sense?
  • How difficult is it to install the Atlantic Towers? Do we need to haul the boat out?
  • At some point, I want to install davits and use it for the dinghy and outboard as well. Would schedule 40 be strong enough or should I go for schedule 80?
  • Anything else I should be thinking of?

As always, thank you for your input.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 22:01   #2
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Atlantic Towers arch schedule 40 or 80

Any insight from anyone? I need make a decision by tomorrow to take advantage of the discount so any input will be highly appreciated.
Old 30-01-2019, 11:17   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Go the 80. I have an atlantic arch. I was in a gale rounding Cape good hope 3 days ago (my stupid fault) Theres lots of load on arches biminis and everything else etc in that weather, the 40 would probably be fine but im glad i had the stronger one.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 11:23   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The only difference between shed. 40 and 80 is the wall thickness of the pipe. The outer diameter is the same. This hyperlink will show you the exact dimensions and weights. All you need to know is the o.d..
https://www.metals4uonline.com/PipeS...Specifications

It would be best to discuss your future intentions with the manufacturer as they will be able to provide precise answers. They have vast experience.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 11:27   #5
cruiser

Mount it on the mast, and use the kind of dinghy attachments that allow the dinghy to be drawn up to cover your stern. You’ll save thousands, then spend a little on some fex solar panels to be mounted on your bimini or dodger.

This set up will preserve the good looks of your boat, be far cheaper and your radar will have greater range. Don’t buy the monkey bars; a 32ft boat will all that stuff hanging off the back is going to look terrible.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 15:23   #6

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

Atlantic Towers is always just ending a sale.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 15:59   #7
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
This set up will preserve the good looks of your boat, be far cheaper and your radar will have greater range. Don’t buy the monkey bars; a 32ft boat will all that stuff hanging off the back is going to look terrible.
Honestly, that is my one major concern. I love the way my boat looks now and I keep going to photos of a similar boat that got Atlantic Towers arch installed.

Anyone has an arch on a 32 ft boat? What is your impression for pros and cons?
Old 30-01-2019, 16:24   #8
cruiser

When we had our Hunter 450, this was the type of dinghy system I was exploring before we bought our Oyster. It’s clean looking especially when tilted all the way forward, it’s easy to launch the dinghy and you won’t have the dinghy swaying back and forth on the monkey bars while underway. For longer passages, just deflate the dinghy and store it, or do like we did and store it upside down on the foredeck.

Solar panels, put some flex panels on the dodger or bimini, then you won’t even see them.

Radar on the mast where it should be to get maximum range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B2B1B70-CF62-4BEE-B8A2-E9C76D70F570.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	184826   Click image for larger version

Name:	31BEB7DE-C148-43C0-B374-CAD543FDBB88.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	184827  

Old 30-01-2019, 20:15   #9
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Kenomac. You convinced us, we won't compromise the looks. Chapter closed for now.
Old 30-01-2019, 20:21   #10
cruiser

You’re very welcome, glad I could help. Looks are important to some of us.
Old 30-01-2019, 20:35   #11
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW, Orinoco looks absolutely gorgeous. Oysters are on our list when we eventually buy an actual offshore cruising boat. And I particularly liked to see the Nespresso on the video, looks like we share more common tastes!
Old 30-01-2019, 20:43   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
BTW, Orinoco looks absolutely gorgeous. Oysters are on our list when we eventually buy an actual offshore cruising boat. And I particularly liked to see the Nespresso on the video, looks like we share more common tastes!
Thank you
Old 30-01-2019, 23:44   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

I wouldnt put an arch on a 32 ft boat, I wouldnt want the weight there and I don't believe it would look that good.

On a bigger boat it can look good as it's all in proportion, the weight isn't a big problem.

Having a arch with davits and solar is very practical when cruising. Having rigid solar mounted with zero shading guarantees you get the most bang for your buck.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc