Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 18:39   #1

Boat: Roberts 44 Offshore
Awlcraft 2000

Any one here ever roll and tipped Awlcraft 2000. Not Awlgrip. Need some info as US paint says not to but I'm sure somebody has tried it. What would be the reason not to? Thanks/ Mike
winterbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 18:44   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I think because its so thin and cures very fast you can only do a small section at a time'
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 19:54   #3

Boat: Endeavour 43
Re: Awlcraft 2000

Awlcraft 2000 is an acrylic and drys so fast that it will not flow like Awlgrip. If you like hard work, you can roll Awlcraft 2000 and then wet sand the orange peel and buff. If you choose this technique, understand that it will quickly lose it gloss so a heavy coat of wax needs to be applied and maintained.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 03:20   #4

Boat: Roberts 44 Offshore

OK thanks, just thought that someone may have done it and there was some trick to it. I just like that you can repair it easily because Awlgrip is such a pain if you screw up painting it or if you need to fix a small problem. Awlgrip dries insanely fast also as I just redid my stern and I saw a small run before I had finished, tried to fix it and it made brush marks there. Now I have to recoat the whole thing. A real pain and I figured I would try Awlcraft because you can sand out mistakes, then I read you can't roll it. Mike
winterbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 13:50   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbuoy View Post
OK thanks, just thought that someone may have done it and there was some trick to it. I just like that you can repair it easily because Awlgrip is such a pain if you screw up painting it or if you need to fix a small problem. Awlgrip dries insanely fast also as I just redid my stern and I saw a small run before I had finished, tried to fix it and it made brush marks there. Now I have to recoat the whole thing. A real pain and I figured I would try Awlcraft because you can sand out mistakes, then I read you can't roll it. Mike

How are you mixing your Awlgrip? If you are using the wrong mix of converters and reducers for roll and tip or for your conditions you will have problems. You should be using Awlcat #3 Brushing Converter instead of the spray converter and T0003 or even T0005 depending on temp for your reducer. If you use spray converter (Awlcat #2) and T0001, which is the usual mix for spray, to roll and tip you will have poor results. If you use #3 and T0005 you should have surprisingly long open times, unless of course you paint in direct sunlight or something silly like that.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote