Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 06:59   #1

B&G T2 Ram - NAC 3 Overload

I recently ditched the wheel pilot on my Pearson 424 and installed a B&G autopilot setup with a B&G T2 linear actuator and a NAC-3 computer. Over the weekend I got it to the point where the system was read to test. After going through the setup the pilot tries to test the rudder feedback by powering the ram and moving the wheel.

When I do this test, the pilot computer provides power to the motor on the T2 ram but nothing happens. The clutch does make a clicking noise but beyond that I'm not sure how to test that it is engaged. Although I can measure the amps being consumed by the motor on the linear actuator, it doesn't make much noise or vibration. The amps steadily rise in the motor circuit during the init test and once they hit 40 or so the unit gives an overload alarm. At no point does the ram move at all.

The wiring diagram is crappy so I switched the polarity on the clutch engage circuit. The solenoid still clicks but the unit still overloads without moving the rudder. I wouldn't think the polarity of the motor leads matters considering it is reversible.

The wheel is easy to turn from stop to stop so doesn't seem to be mechanically stuck.

Going to reach out to B&G support but thought I'd see if anyone ran into something similar. I guess the primary question is would this be the expected behavior if the clutch wasn't engage? Is there a way to test the clutch beyond listening for the click? I could try turning the wheel with the clutch engaged?
wheatfieldcrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 16:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: B&G T2 Ram - NAC 3 Overload

Any resolution on this problem? It sounds like a shorted or stalled (seized) motor to me.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 05:08   #3

Re: B&G T2 Ram - NAC 3 Overload

Not yet, I'm going to take the motor off and ensure that it is turning when the power is supplied. Wont have a chance to do so until Wednesday night. The unit is brand new so hard to believe they shipped it wihtout function testing it but time will tell!
wheatfieldcrows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa