Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 16:32   #1

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser
Ballpark for mast & rigging installed 1983 T33

1983 Tartan 33 for sale on Long Island, NY - needing mast & rigging. Appears to have snapped or cut off at about 8' above deck.

Or, should I just call places near the boat?

Don't know enough to be more specific about particular mast and rigging other than no intention to race the boat. Would spend a bit more for quality and longevity if that's a factor.

Thanks!
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 17:13   #2

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Ballpark for mast & rigging installed 1983 T33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblakenyc View Post
1983 Tartan 33 for sale on Long Island, NY - needing mast & rigging. Appears to have snapped or cut off at about 8' above deck.

Or, should I just call places near the boat?

Don't know enough to be more specific about particular mast and rigging other than no intention to race the boat. Would spend a bit more for quality and longevity if that's a factor.

Thanks!
It's not my place to try and steer somebody toward or away from a purchase, however here's some food for thought.

If the current seller would rather sell the boat as it is over fixing it properly before selling then I ask myself what else is wrong/broken/missing.

I don't know what your sailing resume looks like or if you're a genius at boat maintenance but this seems a bit of a red flag. I'd personally give it a hard pass on buying it but then again that's just me.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji3]
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 18:23   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

I’ll second the above. If it’s been broken there’s a good chance you’ll be replacing some or all of the chain plates and their base structure, is also check the tanning etc. A demasting involves significant loading in various areas. I’d wager at least 20 grand for new spars, plus re-rig. Not including any structural work required, new sails if they won’t work on the new rig etc etc. There’s a lot of what if’s on this.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 18:43   #4

Good points about likely additional damage. Perhaps owner is taking the insurance check and running. I'm already passing but can send or post the link if anyone's up for it.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:21   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Sage advice above. A dismasted boat is likely to have many other problems now and down the road.

We recall some years ago we were looking for a particular model of boat near our other home in Nova Scotia. There were not too many to choose from but we did find one that had a mast that had be snapped and rewelded. It was otherwise a decent boat. While we were thinking it over at the yard, a marine survyor walked by coming from another boat. We casually asked him if the repair was an issue. He looked up briefly and advised us to walk away. We did.

If you're willing and able to take on an older boat, there's lots out there with fewer red flags.

Best of luck with your purchase.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:44   #6

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

nobody is answering the OP! get a used mast check... Masts - Mass Marine Parts

You can probably make something off a similar size boat, or cut down a slightly bigger one to make it work.. looks like you can get one for under $2k and I'd guess $3k give or take for new rigging. assuming you install yourself.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 15:27   #7
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post

You can probably make something off a similar size boat, or cut down a slightly bigger one to make it work.. looks like you can get one for under $2k and I'd guess $3k give or take for new rigging. assuming you install yourself.
Unless those masts are close by there’s shipping to consider, also whether it is deck or keel steeped (length), then there’s a mast base, gooseneck compatibility with boom or if boom is included. Used spars are a cost effective way to go but more to consider than just putting a stick up and leaving the dock. Sometimes it can be extremely difficult finding something that works and that is close by.
Old 09-02-2021, 16:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Unless those masts are close by there’s shipping to consider, also whether it is deck or keel steeped (length), then there’s a mast base, gooseneck compatibility with boom or if boom is included. Used spars are a cost effective way to go but more to consider than just putting a stick up and leaving the dock. Sometimes it can be extremely difficult finding something that works and that is close by.
Mass to L.I. NY should only be a few hundred to truck if he can't move it himself. The T33 is inline shrouds and keel stepped. Any keel stepped mast that has non-swept spreaders that is similar in length (45ft??) can be made to work. Yes there are some relatively easy projects that he may need to tackle like making a mast step and moving the gooseneck. these are not big cost drivers. I assume he is prepared to tackle some DIY projects since he's interested in buying a project boat.

FWIW, the step on my T41 is a piece of sheet metal with some ears welded on and a couple holes drilled (pic)... like a 30min build.

I've also been on a boat that was dismasted. a Bravaria 44. The backstay let go (rigging was new). No damage to chainplates or major structure. Bow pullpit partly crushed and a few bent stansion. Cosmetic damage to toe rail... And that's a way bigger stick! insurance paid to fix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160419_142029 small.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	232209  
Old 09-02-2021, 16:29   #9
rbk

Quote:
Mass to L.I. NY should only be a few hundred to truck if he can't move it himself. The T33 is inline shrouds and keel stepped. Any keel stepped mast that has non-swept spreaders that is similar in length (45ft??) can be made to work. Yes there are some relatively easy projects that he may need to tackle like making a mast step and moving the gooseneck. these are not big cost drivers. I assume he is prepared to tackle some DIY projects since he's interested in buying a project boat.

FWIW, the step on my T41 is a piece of sheet metal with some ears welded on and a couple holes drilled (pic)... like a 30min build.

I've also been on a boat that was dismasted. a Bravaria 44. The backstay let go (rigging was new). No damage to chainplates or major structure. Bow pullpit partly crushed and a few bent stansion. Cosmetic damage to toe rail... And that's a way bigger stick! insurance paid to fix
Doesn’t sound like he’s all in for a DIY project by any means. Who knows if it’s worth it without seeing the boat.
Old 09-02-2021, 17:47   #10

Quote:

$2k-$3k for rerigging? Are you the seller?

Many yards charge well over $250/hr for two guys and a crane. 400+ feet of wire rope plus toggles and turnbuckles and tangs. DIY swaging anyone? Haven't even asked about running rigging, turning blocks, reefing, rope clutches, jam cleats, mast head fittings, wiring, boom fittings, winches and furling and sails.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 19:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
$2k-$3k for rerigging? Are you the seller?

Many yards charge well over $250/hr for two guys and a crane. 400+ feet of wire rope plus toggles and turnbuckles and tangs. DIY swaging anyone? Haven't even asked about running rigging, turning blocks, reefing, rope clutches, jam cleats, mast head fittings, wiring, boom fittings, winches and furling and sails.
I said $2k for a used mast (link posted). Plus $3k for rigging.. $5k total. I did my rigging on a T41 for $4k including the turnbuckles (purchased everything from Rigging-only, Hayn brand) and that's much bigger wire and longer lengths. He only needs a crane to put it in, so maybe $500. Hop-O-nose stepped my stick for $300 up the Hudson. Look, he asked for Ball park. maybe $5k is a little low but it's ball park if he does basic work himself as I said I had assumed. If he pays a yard or a rigger to do everything he's going to pay 3 times that... just like anything else...
Old 09-02-2021, 19:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Doesn’t sound like he’s all in for a DIY project by any means. Who knows if it’s worth it without seeing the boat.
I never addressed whether it was worth it. all the posts before me did say it was not worth it, but they didn't see it. The OP asked for ball park mast and rigging and I said $5k if he does some work. That's what I think I could do it for, but I'm thrifty... At least I answered his question.

If he's not going to DIY anything, then it's highly unlikely that any project boat is a good fit for him, IMO.
Old 09-02-2021, 20:45   #13

Quote:
If he's not going to DIY anything, then it's highly unlikely that any project boat is a good fit for him, IMO.
Hey, I'm going to DYI somethings but need to work up to new mast and rigging! This T33 looked pretty nice as long as you don't look up. Here it is for those of you ready to do a $5k repair *s*.

Seriously, thanks for the perspectives. Probability of more damage beyond mast itself has me walking by.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/89518

Tags
mast, rigging