Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 16:31   #136

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Barnacle removal without scraping

Quote:
Originally Posted by macconews View Post
I saw one of these at a boatshow...very expensive...called Ultra-SoniTec.com. What is the name of your product from Jaycar? Thanks for your information and reply.
Here it is.

Ultrasonic Antifouling Kit for Boats | General Household | Electronic Project Kits | Kits, Science & Learning | PRODUCTS | KC5498 | Jaycar Electronics
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 02:14   #137

Boat: Endurance 35,1981
Endurance 35 Project

Hi Guy's

I've recently join this forum so I'm new to the trade, I've recently acquired an Endurance 35 1981 Ketch, the boat has been sitting in the water for 4 years and is slowly deteriorating it's a project for sure, the previous owner passed away and his daughter inherited the boat and left it to deteriorate. I've obviously got it at a deal !!!! So what I hoping to get from this forum is advice and guidance while I take on this project and bring the girl back to life, she has teak deck's which require replacing and Perkins 4.108 engine.
If anyone guide me or advise me I'd appericate this.
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 03:42   #138

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Thanks Ironman. Going to Jaycar first opp.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:30   #139

Perfect post! But "They" may not get it...

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
matt_factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 17:50   #140

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 43'

Hi,
Do they work on steel boats?
bretto55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 17:29   #141

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
If available a couple of weeks up a river in fresh water will clear lots of growth. Salt water stuff 'abandons ship'
I'm not sure how well that would work, when I bought my current boat it took from June til October to get the papers passed while the previous owner nagged BOA to send him one piece of paper needed to get the documentation done. The boat sat in the water on a mooring all that time in fresh water in a river with a pretty stiff flow, with bottom paint on it, when I finally was able to get the documentation done I ended up having to move the boat from Maine to Rhode Island at the end of October. The hull and prop looked like a marine sanctuary, couldn't get it to go over 4 knots. I had to dive on it, without a wet suit in 47F water with 40F air temperature to scrape enough barnacles off the prop to get it to move.
At least the people on the seawall of the first harbor we stopped in got a laugh, watching me dive on the boat while they stood watching in their winter coats.
Would you just be trading one form of growth for another by moving it up river for a bit?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 17:32   #142

Re: Endurance 35 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrugada View Post
Hi Guy's

I've recently join this forum so I'm new to the trade, I've recently acquired an Endurance 35 1981 Ketch, the boat has been sitting in the water for 4 years and is slowly deteriorating it's a project for sure, the previous owner passed away and his daughter inherited the boat and left it to deteriorate. I've obviously got it at a deal !!!! So what I hoping to get from this forum is advice and guidance while I take on this project and bring the girl back to life, she has teak deck's which require replacing and Perkins 4.108 engine.
Don't replace the teak decks, remove them, fill the holes properly and use nonskid on the decks.
Keep the 4-108, they never die, they just leak oil a lot.
Old 21-03-2016, 17:34   #143

Re: Endurance 35 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrugada View Post
Hi Guy's

You might want to start a separate thread with it's own title to get better feedback.
Be more specific on what kind of advice your looking for, it will help others share the right information.
Old 21-03-2016, 17:36   #144

Originally Posted by roland stockham If available a couple of weeks up a river in fresh water will clear lots of growth. Salt water stuff 'abandons ship'

Actually, it will kill the soft animals inside the barnacle, but the hard shells will remain intact. Just like most bottom paints.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 18:03   #145
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I'm not sure how well that would work...
Boats that move from the Bay to the Delta and back will come back clean as a whistle. Just sayin'...
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 06:07   #146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I'm not sure how well that would work, when I bought my current boat it took from June til October to get the papers passed while the previous owner nagged BOA to send him one piece of paper needed to get the documentation done. The boat sat in the water on a mooring all that time in fresh water in a river with a pretty stiff flow, with bottom paint on it, when I finally was able to get the documentation done I ended up having to move the boat from Maine to Rhode Island at the end of October. The hull and prop looked like a marine sanctuary, couldn't get it to go over 4 knots. I had to dive on it, without a wet suit in 47F water with 40F air temperature to scrape enough barnacles off the prop to get it to move.
At least the people on the seawall of the first harbor we stopped in got a laugh, watching me dive on the boat while they stood watching in their winter coats.
Would you just be trading one form of growth for another by moving it up river for a bit?
I had a slightly different scenario when I bought my boat in NY. It was pretty clean when we hauled for survey and the pressure wash took off any green stuff (no hard growth). I immediately moved the boat to RI and spent the summer on a mooring in Bristol. Late August I moved the boat over to the town dock to pump out and fill the water tanks and discovered the prop was totally fouled and could hardly move.

Spent two days scraping as much of the 1-2" thick forest that I could reach. The growth covered the entire bottom. A week later moved to the Connecticut River where I stayed for a month before heading south. Decided to check the bottom and prop again before departure and when I looked it was as clean as a new coat of paint. Whatever grew while I was in Narragansett Bay certainly did not like the fresh water in the river.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:34   #147

Due to elevated temperatures in the bay which is a bad thing and ever cleaner water quality which is a good thing. Marine growth is pretty aggressive these days. I have to clean the prop about every 2 to 3 weeks. My bottom paint has been pretty good at keeping the hard growth off the hull but green slime does grow. An occasional light wipe keeps that under control. May switch bottom paints next year though. Now that igarol is going away in bottom paints we'll all be doing more hull cleaning in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-03-2016, 11:37   #148

I still haven't found anything that keeps the prop and shafts clean for a whole season. Last year used a prop antifowling paint that worked pretty good for about 4 months but once a few got started it didn't take long to foul the prop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-03-2016, 05:28   #149

Suction Devices are Indespensible

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Part of the skill of an experienced diver using their fins. A suction device also helps.

glass suction tool | eBay
I use fins and a suction device something like the one in the photo every time I clean the hull.

They can save scuba refills as one can reach down the hull a good way and clean using just a mask and snorkel.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 05:37   #150

Just Sail the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Once firmly attached a barnacle is not "holding on" but is actually glued to the boat. Even if you kill the barnacle the shell will remain attached.

So to get them off you have to do something to break that bond, physically or chemically.
Once the barnacle is gone, moving the boat a significant distance through the water will cause the shells remains to fall off. At least, that is my experience.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal