Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2023, 10:36   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel
Barrier between aluminum and stainless steel

Quick question...

I just completed painting my mast. Stripped to bare aluminum, alumiprep, alodine, Cor-spec 135 chromate primer, finish primer and top coats, all from Alexseal. Looks great! I am now putting all new hardware on the mast. From stainless rivets to winches and bearing plates, etc...

I would like to use a thin layer of UV resistant rubber, or plastic between the bearing plates, winches, etc... to help protect the dissimilar metals. A friend used the flexible plastic cover from a folder, the kind you used in school. I was thinking about this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Non-...16&sr=8-5&th=1

Of course I will use Tefgel on fasteners and other places. What other materials do people have experience with?

Thanks
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 14:30   #2

Re: Barrier between aluminum and stainless steel

duralac-anti-corrosion-compound.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duralac-anti-corrosion-compound.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	274224  
Eagle ITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 18:50   #3

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I'd say it depends on whether or not you are looking for corrosion inhibition only, or thread locking only, or a combination of corrosion inhibition and thread locking. If you have dissimilar metals and want corrosion inhibition - but not thread locking - use Tefgel. If you have dissimilar metals and want corrosion inhibition - and also thread locking - use Duralac. If you have similar metals and don't need corrosion inhibition - but want thread locking - use Loctite (red or blue - depending on how strong a thread lock you want).

Those are for the threaded things. Your paint will go a long way protecting your aluminum mast from the stainless steel backing plates of winches, etc. When in "belt and suspenders" mode I usually put some butyl rubber tape between the mast and the backing plates. I don't know if that's the best thing - but it's worked for me over these past years.
Old 17-04-2023, 19:41   #4

Boat: Farr 43`

Try using Monel rivets instead of Stainless for reducing the corrosion potential.
HMWPE aka 2lt milk containers make great isolation spacers.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 21:09   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

What Rucksta said is what I've done for years. Works fine. UHMPE like starboard works as does thin nylon sheet
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 21:47   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

As far as stainless pads and what not against the aluminum mast, I use simple mill tape from a local Hardware chain.
Attached Images

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, stainless steel, steel