Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 11:49   #1

Barrier coat or just primer?

I have a new to me 30 year old seasonally launched Hinterhoeller hull. It has an unknown number of layers of unknown bottom paint. The PO supplied a sample can of the modified epoxy paint he'd applied for the last 10 years. IF spring comes and Covid relents, these layers will be blasted off to gelcoat. No blisters were seen when taken from the water last fall, there is no history of blisters ever been seen or repaired.This boat, at 46N, will always be in the water no more than 6 months a year, in water no more than 21C (That's bout 72 in 'mericn),

My question then, for all the collected wisdom here, is: Should a barrier coat be first applied prior to any anti fouling? Or, alternatively, simply prime and paint? I am not averse to money WELL spent, but become nauseous at its waste.

(Yes I have searched this topic here, most replies are applicable to the long term warm water immersion bottom,this is not my situation)
Thanks all for your time and the honour of your replies.
POH
Panic Pas
ExCoelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:09   #2

Re: Barrier coat or just primer?

Tough crowd.
POH
ExCoelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:27   #3

Re: Barrier coat or just primer?

If you are certain the hull is dry through and through a barrier coat applied per the manufacturer's instructions will make a fairly bulletproof hull to paint. Also good for resale, particularly if the new buyer plans to keep it in the water. If you keep a good, maintained bottom paint and pull it out of the water often then it probably isn't necessary.
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote