Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2023, 07:31   #1

Boat: 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus
Bathroom Remodel...

Allie Rose here, a beautiful 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus.

The bathroom has been striped down and rebuilt with IPE wood. I've attached photos for anyone whose interested in seeing. Note - these photos are prior to the NFM windows that I installed, so it continues to look even better every day! I'll update these photos once the bathroom remodel is completely finished, but first, a few quick questions.

I had 40' of custom made 1/4 round IPE wood trim made. It was ridiculously priced and totally unnecessary. If I have any extra and anyone would like it, I'm happy to give it away to another broke sailor if you Venmo me the cost of shipping.

Anyway - the questions:

1) IPE is VERY hard wood. I'm sure I could screw it in, but I'm also contemplating just using 4200 or some other adhesive to secure it to the corners. Is that a terrible idea? Should I just find short enough fasteners and screw it in?
2) IPE oil is VERY hard for me to come by for some reason. Is Teak oil a reasonable substitute?
3) I've run plumbing for hot and cold water to the bathroom already. I have NOT, however, purchased an actual sink/shower head combo fixture to instal in the sink. As you can see, there is one output spot. Does anyone have a recommendation for what they would install?

My goal is to finish trimming out the bathroom and installing the sink fixture, and thereafter need to figure out how to use the same thru-hull that is use for the sump pump that drains the shower pan as the intake for a saltwater spray down hose on the deck.... That's a project for another day, and I'll post photos when the time allows. So yeah, for now, just a few questions about trim and fixtures. More questions about the thru hull and multiway input/output within in the near future. Just wanted to post photos today I guess.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom 2.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	273110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom 3.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	273111  

Name:	Bathroom 4.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	273112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom 5.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	273113  

Name:	Bathroom 6.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	273114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	273115  

SV Allie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 07:42   #2

Re: Bathroom Remodel...

Looks very nice. Wood I do it? - No
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 07:46   #3

There is an independent water pick up with a pump. It goes out to the same thru hull that that I want to use for a salt water spray down pump on the deck.... that's a project for later this week and I'll post photos of how I'm contemplating designing it when the time comes.

As far as removing the wood, I presumedly would like to avoid doing that, but may have to as frequently as once a year to ensure no mold or mildew is growing? And as for the quarter round trim, I will likely just use fasteners and only in spots/spaces where it's necessary.

The panels behind the toilet are fully removable to get me access to the black tank and macerator pump. I thought it was fairly well designed, but maybe I should have gone about this project another way. Who knows. Right now just trying to figure out plumbing for the sink/shower combo that I want, and thereafter, the water pickup/saltwater spray down thru-hull.
Old 23-03-2023, 19:41   #4

I think you should be OK, especially if you run a heater once in a while (that dries the air up). Looks good though.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 22:04   #5

Boat: Cascade 42

You can run the sink drain into the head inlet. The shower will need a bilge pump and its own through hull. Diagrams for the head / sink plumbing are on this site. Yes you can use teak oil on ipe, you will want the trim to be removable because you will (screws).
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 06:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_sailing View Post
You can run the sink drain into the head inlet. The shower will need a bilge pump and its own through hull. Diagrams for the head / sink plumbing are on this site. Yes you can use teak oil on ipe, you will want the trim to be removable because you will (screws).
That's a great idea, to run the sink drain to the toilet inlet.

Can I use the same thru hull with two bilge pumps - one for the shower to remove water, and the other for the salt water spray down pump? It would be very convenient if so. Any diagrams or recommendations on how best to this are greatly appreciated!
Old 24-03-2023, 08:51   #7

Boat: Cascade 42

The shower pump out through hull would be above water line. The saltwater pump inlet would be below. I supose you could use the head inlet with a Y valve to suply the head or the SW pump.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 09:19   #8

Why would the thru hull need to be above the water line? The galley sink drains below the water the line?

The only thru hulls above the water line are the deck drains. Could I use a Y valve to pump water approximately 10' towards the stern, as well as 5' vertically, to those drains? Or do I need to install a new thru hull for the pump out and just cut another hole...
Old 24-03-2023, 09:53   #9

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Don't know how your boat is set up, but my shower sump drain hose runs to the same above-the-water-line through-hull as my bilge pump uses.
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 10:59   #10

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Ipe oil? Do they grind up Ipe for that? Any oil will work but for a bathroom teak oil might work. Tung oil might work fine as would Danish oil.

Home Depot sells a "Ipe oil" but it's linseed, pigment and some other oils.

I would not glue in the 1/4 rounds, Use screws.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 06:48   #11

The thru hull used for the saltwater intake for the toilet flush is also the drain for the sink in the bathroom - a nice feature because I can close the thru hull and do a fresh water flush of the toilet that way.

The thru hull that I use for the sump pump for the shower water is the same thru hull for the salt water spary down pump (so it's below the water line). Not sure if that's bad or not.

My mascerator pump just stopped working on me. It beeps, but does not turn on. It's a raritan pump. Does it need to be replaced? Any idea on how best to trouble shoot?

Tags
model