Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 10:53   #1

Boat: Pearson 424
battery switch problem

i bought a new battery switch . house goes (1) starting goes to (2) and cable from solenoid goes to common... on the front i have . 1,,2,,both,,off. however i get power from all of them even "off" . anyway to test the switch am i doing something wrong ?
thanks rock
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 11:05   #2

Re: battery switch problem

Unhook the cables and check switch by itself. But it sounds like switch is bad if hooked up correctly
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 11:18   #3

Hook up can be confusing. You can test it with a meter with things unhooked. What do you mean by "get power from all of them" How did you test for that?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 11:57   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

I would take the solenoid cable off the switch and try to start the engine. It sounds like you might have another power supply going to the starter solenoid somewhere other than the switch.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 12:31   #5

Installing Battery Selector Switches (the "posts" in the back don't physically match with the switch positions on the front) Batteries and a factory (?) mis-wired battery selector switch
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 13:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hook up can be confusing. You can test it with a meter with things unhooked. What do you mean by "get power from all of them" How did you test for that?
i

when I have the switch turned to off I still have power to the panel
Old 28-11-2018, 14:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

First it is more correct to think of the switch as Input 1, Input 2 and Output, not common. Or it can be used in reverse with one Input and Outputs 1 & 2. The output will be a "common" only when Both is selected on the switch.

Second you say the Ouput (common) is connected to the solenoid, assuming you mean the starter solenoid. If this is all correct then this switch will have nothing to do with the power to the electrical panel and you need to figure out where the panel is getting power.

To test the switch get a volt meter, connect the black lead to the system ground and the red to the Output of the switch. Turn the switch on and off (1, 2 or Both should all work) and see if you read 12V on and off to match.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 06:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
First it is more correct to think of the switch as Input 1, Input 2 and Output, not common. Or it can be used in reverse with one Input and Outputs 1 & 2. The output will be a "common" only when Both is selected on the switch.

Second you say the Ouput (common) is connected to the solenoid, assuming you mean the starter solenoid. If this is all correct then this switch will have nothing to do with the power to the electrical panel and you need to figure out where the panel is getting power.

To test the switch get a volt meter, connect the black lead to the system ground and the red to the Output of the switch. Turn the switch on and off (1, 2 or Both should all work) and see if you read 12V on and off to match.
i have taken all lines (cords) off the switch put house battery on 1 along with the lead to panel everything else is disconnected . i stlll get power to the panel with switch turned off . when i disconnect the battery i get nothing again i only have the house on 1
Old 29-11-2018, 07:36   #9

figured it out . i had the panel cable going to the house battery terminal on the switch i switched the panel cable to common and viola , it works
thanks for all the responses
rock
sv topaz
Old 29-11-2018, 07:42   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
figured it out . i had the panel cable going to the house battery terminal on the switch i switched the panel cable to common and viola , it works
thanks for all the responses
rock
sv topaz

DC is really pretty straightforward when you figure it out. Just start at one end and follow the wires to the other.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery