Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 18:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Bedit Review

After using butyl tape from the big box stores, I decided to try out Bedit. I bought a roll from Hamilton Marine. The big box butyl tape is about 1/4" thick and quite wide. The Bedit is comparatively thin and maybe 1/2" wide.

While I had to use several layers of Bedit, I found it quite sticky. At the end of the day, I have to give a thumbs up for Bedit. The big box butyl tape I previously used was OK though and worked well.

Tomayto, tomahto... YMMV
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:20   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Bedit Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
After using butyl tape from the big box stores, I decided to try out Bedit. I bought a roll from Hamilton Marine. The big box butyl tape is about 1/4" thick and quite wide. The Bedit is comparatively thin and maybe 1/2" wide.

While I had to use several layers of Bedit, I found it quite sticky. At the end of the day, I have to give a thumbs up for Bedit. The big box butyl tape I previously used was OK though and worked well.

Tomayto, tomahto... YMMV
Bedit is great stuff.
The only issue I have is that it oozes for quite some time, and fittings that require two people to tighten it becomes an issue, as you have to retighten a few times.
For these kind of uses I utilize the tried and trusted Sikaflex.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 07:59   #3

Boat: CS 27

Thanks! Sounds like regular butyl tape will do, I like the idea of no need to pay the "marine" mark-up at least with this application. Saw on a number of sites that the silicone would not be recommended compared to tape.
Troy H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 08:31   #4

Most surely, all butyl tape is not the same.

The primary difference I have found between "good" and "cheap" butyl tape is how it ages. "Good" tape stays pliable and sticky with a taffy-like consistency indefinitely. The cheap stuff gets hard and brittle with time (a few years). You can't tell the difference when you install it.

The problem is that you can't really tell the difference between the two up front, not even by price. None of this stuff is made for the marine market, it is all pulled from the construction and automotive worlds.

Some outfits selling this into the marine market buy the cheapest crap they can. Others do a good job of sourcing quality stuff.

Having somebody else do the quality control for you can very well be worth the markup.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 09:24   #5

Boat: O'Day 40

+1 for Bedit.
I've been using it since it became available with zero failures.
A neighbour has had to remove the RV tape he put on 2 years ago because it leaks.

Tags
bed