Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 13:46   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Bending Chain Plates with Pipe

So, I just got off the phone with Cabo Rico. I had some questions regarding the chain plates.

I was told that they bend the chain plates right on the boat! They put the flat chain plates in and then put a length of pipe over the end and then bend the plate into position.

Has anyone heard of this being done? It can't be good for the cap rail!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Bending chain plates with pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
So, I just got off the phone with Cabo Rico. I had some questions regarding the chain plates.

I was told that they bend the chain plates right on the boat! They put the flat chain plates in and then put a length of pipe over the end and then bend the plate into position.

Has anyone heard of this being done? It can't be good for the cap rail!
using square tubing would be better!
no different from putting the chainplate in a vice and bending it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:54   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Bending Chain Plates with Pipe

Does anyone know of a good machine shop in the annapolis area to make me some shiney new chain plates?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 10:30   #4

Re: Bending Chain Plates with Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Does anyone know of a good machine shop in the annapolis area to make me some shiney new chain plates?
Are you at all handy? Making chain plates is pretty straightforward now that you know the trick to bending them. McMaster Carr and Grainger are two possible sources for short lengths (saves you the expense of buying 20' lengths) of a variety of stainless steel types available as bar stock in different widths and thicknesses.

With material in hand it's a matter of cutting to length, locating and drilling holes, and radiusing the ends. Access to a drill press will make life easier, but can be done with a hand drill. Cutting and radiusing can be accomplished with a angle grinder. Depending on how many you need it may be worth the investment in tools if you don't have them already.

To resist deformation at the hole for shroud attachment leave some extra meat on the end. For example if you have a 1 1/2" bar and are putting a 1/2" hole in it, locate the center of the hole 7/8" from the end instead of 3/4" which will give additional mass at the weak spot.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate