Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 23:22   #1

Boat: Oceanis 37
Beneteau Oceanis 37 2009, Which Seacocks?

Hello everybody,
first of all I hope I'm writing this in a correct way and place....
Is there anybody who knows wich seacocks Beneteau uses for Oceanis 37 2009? I'm quite scared from last year round articles on Yachting Mounthly about problems with seacocks. I've read a lot but still can't find the exact information and guess I need change them all!
Thanks for any advice
Pier
Carraiadimare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:54   #2

Boat: Farr 1020
re: Beneteau Oceanis 37 2009, Which Seacocks?

The sea cocks that you need to avoid are the brass valves. If you want to go with a metal sea cock then it must be bronze and certified as such and they should be bonded. However my preference is to stick with plastic ball valves for marine use and I have had no issues with these over the years.

Acushla
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:39   #3

Boat: Oceanis 37
re: Beneteau Oceanis 37 2009, Which Seacocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acushla View Post
The sea cocks that you need to avoid are the brass valves. If you want to go with a metal sea cock then it must be bronze and certified as such and they should be bonded. However my preference is to stick with plastic ball valves for marine use and I have had no issues with these over the years.

Acushla
Thanks Acushla for your reply. The main problem is that I had no response about the sea cocks material from Beneteau, except for the admission that they don't use "pure" bronze, but no report on percentage of different materials ans wich; this drives me a bit crazy cause as an owner, you just seem to be forced to enjoy the sun and wind until the boat sinks!
Any way if anyone has this information about wich materials benetau uses for sea cocks from 2009, I'm sending it right to Beneteau yards so they Know!!!
Thanks everybody

Carraiadimare
Carraiadimare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 14:02   #4

Boat: Farr 1020
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 37 2009, Which Seacocks?

Hi
I think you are placing too much faith in Beneteau to tell you what to install. Take a look at the following info Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com they have great info on these types of installations/refits

Acushla
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:12   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 37 2009, Which Seacocks?

For what it's worth, I have the same Oceanis 37 and I do plan to replace the seacocks and skin fittings in a couple of years with plastic ones. I believe Beneteau use the same ones that have been giving grief to Hanse owners and others. I have attached tappered wooden plugs to my seacocks in the mean time for a bit of insurance.
MechMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis