Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2008, 17:42   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Now - I'm going to interject. Mark J - that is one of the most horrific slaughtering of quotes I've seen in a long time. I'm sure that I could pull different words and plug them all together that would make someone appear to be Osama Ben Laudin. And then YOU talk about misrepresentation. OMG GAB
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 17:51   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Osama Ben Laudin.
LOL OK, OK!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 18:04   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Osama Ben Laudin.
Hardy har, har, har....
Old 29-03-2008, 19:38   #19

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
"Bent" conotes sticking something in a vise and beating it with a hammer. Fabrication, engineered properly i.e., hot vs cold break, gussets, heat treat, etcetera, yields some of the strongest assemblages in the world: race car frames, rollbars, crash bars, motorcycle frames, and probably davitts as well. Just two cents worth from someone who has spent a lot of years earning a living in machine shops. . . .
Old 30-03-2008, 08:10   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
By bend, I do not mean whacking it with a hammer. A clean bend could not be produced by putting it in a vise and muscling it over. The tube would crimp and be worthless. Rather, bending a tube with a roll-bender or some other specialized machine is how this is accomplished, as I am sure that you know. However, this does not retract from the fact that bending stainless thins the wall of the tube...thus making it weaker. A weaker tube means weaker davits.

You talk about heat treating and gussets but, why would you go through all the trouble? Why should there be a bend in the first place? Why go through all the fuss of reinforcing a technique that produces a weaker end product? You could weld and reinforce a bend to high heaven but at some you have to look at the thing as say, "this is over-kill".
Old 30-03-2008, 08:58   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Ya know, it all comes down to engineering. Strength, cost, weight and appearance trade-offs. I mean this thread is senseless except for one thing. You are using it to promote your product. And this is not the place to be doing that. I think you have done yourself harm in keeping this thread going.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 13:03   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Deepfrz, why is it that an amateur’s opinion is treated with more courtesy than a professionals?

I am amazed that when a professional fabricator takes the time to offer his opinion and advice on a subject he makes his living at, that some view that opinion with distrust, cynicism and veiled contempt.

The only reason that this thread has kept going is that some have made personal attacks which I believe are totally unwarranted and detrimental to the spirit of this forum.

I for one encourage professional opinions and can easily partition any marketing enthusiasm to it’s rightful place.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 13:22   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am curious Ben, when calculating the SWL for a set of Davits that will say be designed to handle a typical tender that Wheels described….. say 300lbs

1. What do you design for?
2. How do you test and measure it?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 13:52   #24

Nothing wrong with bends...it's all about design. a staight beam will have extreme loads at the attachment point. A bend work-hardens the stainless so the outside of the bend has a higher strngth. Cast aluminum can be very brittle and unless it goes thru aerospace style x ray inspection could have casting defects. While alum spec's have it as strong as Stainless, aluminum is much worse when it comes to cycle fatigue (repeated flexing for instance) Aluminum also has only about 35% as much non permanent deflection as stainless..before it fails.... either is fine if engineered properly.... (the above is quik and general...)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 00:25   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Deepfrz, why is it that an amateur’s opinion is treated with more courtesy than a professionals?
Sorry for the interuption in your viewing folks. But I think it only fair to explain a few things and why we have some giving Ben a hard time.
First of all, most Community Forums do not allow "Vendors" to post about their products. We here at CF went a little step better and decided to create a place that Vendors could discuss their Product. That is what you all see at the bottom of the Forum called the "Vendors Forum". Several posters and including myself have thought and some may still think that Ben's post is "promotional" on behalf of Atkins & Hoyle. I made a post stating such and didn't realise one of our Mod/Admin team had been working in the background with Ben on how to modify his post. Once I had learn't that, I removed my comment. Although I do want to be clear that my comment was about the post and not Presonaly about Ben.
So moving right along. Why do we have a "Vendor Forum"?? Well this is so Vendors can talk about their products. I think this maybe rather unique as far as Community forums go, but I maybe wrong. The idea is that any member can then if they so wish, go take a look and read promotional information about a Vendors product.
The "Team" have decided to allow Bens thread here to remain, as long as none of his products are promoted in anyway. You will also note that Bens name to the left now has "Vendor" under it and not his business.
Ben did go to a great deal of trouble rewording his original text and does not include any information about his product. I think Ben is passionate about what he does and as such has offered his comments. But like all good discussions on this board, comments are up for debate.
We will now return you to your regular viewing.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits