Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2022, 10:46   #31

Boat: Looking to buy
Re: Best Hard Paint for under the waterline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
In my personal experience on my own boats (both power and sail), I have consistently gotten good results with Pettit Trinidad. My boats have been in the water year round and have been periodically cleaned. Trinidad works well for me in this application as fstbttms suggests.
It looks like another vote for Petit Trinidad.
Thank you very much, for sharing this.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 10:51   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Check with your diver on what he recommends AND what other boats use where the boat will be anchored. Clean the bottom with the softest pad to avoid removing the paint. I use 2 coats of Pettit Trinidad Pro hard paint on my boats in the San Francisco and get 3 years life, albeit might not be applicable for your anchoring location(s).
Looks like we're on a roll here, yet another for Petit Trindad.
It seems a 3 year durability is a reality.
Thank you very much for your input.
Old 22-04-2022, 11:33   #33

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Primarily the whole "hard paints are for fast boats, ablatives are not/ablatives are for fast boats, hard paints are not" argument, of which you were a contributor. Neither type of paint is produced for or marketed to any particular segment of the recreational boating market. Fast boats, slow boats, sailboats and powerboats all use both types of anti fouling paint to great effect. When someone advises a sailboat owner that hard paints are only for fast boats, they do so out of ignorance.
Again I did NOT state that. I simply reproduced, word for word, the product specification from International Paints. I also gave one of the urls so members, such as yourself, could check said literature, even pointing out the paragraph I had reproduced.

As the expert in this field it is important that you get in touch with International Paints and share your wisdom so that they'll of course amend all their literature and technical sheets.

As for Petit Paints, it's a North American brand not widely available in many the countries.
Old 22-04-2022, 11:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Again I did NOT state that. I simply reproduced, word for word, the product specification from International Paints. I also gave one of the urls so members, such as yourself, could check said literature, even pointing out the paragraph I had reproduced.

As the expert in this field it is important that you get in touch with International Paints and share your wisdom so that they'll of course amend all their literature and technical sheets.

As for Petit Paints, it's a North American brand not widely available in many the countries.
Thank you for your input.
It's a good thing I reside in north america then, but it would be good to know if other brands that are available in other areas, perform just as good.
If ever a haul out is required in other parts of the world, or even for fellow readers.
Old 22-04-2022, 12:03   #35

Boat: Norseman 447

I just hauled out. Three years in tropical water. Last bottom cleaning was 7 months ago. It took less than than an hour to clean the hull. Almost no hard growth except on the prop, shaft, throughhulls and transducers. Slime washed off easily. Pettit Trinidad SR. Four coats: two blue, then to black. Lots of the black was thin or gone, most of the blue still there after cleaning and sanding. That’s good enough for me.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 15:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
I just hauled out. Three years in tropical water. Last bottom cleaning was 7 months ago. It took less than than an hour to clean the hull. Almost no hard growth except on the prop, shaft, throughhulls and transducers. Slime washed off easily. Pettit Trinidad SR. Four coats: two blue, then to black. Lots of the black was thin or gone, most of the blue still there after cleaning and sanding. That’s good enough for me.
That's good enough for me also, sold!
Thank you for kindly sharing with all of us.
Old 22-04-2022, 15:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Unbelievable? Here we go again, a bunch of Joe Average dummies asking simple questions and the experts like you who is in your mind the best in the world, ready to pounce and contradicts everyone's response... after all, what is this forum for???
Take it over fstbttms, you are the king, the ONLY expert in this forum about antifouling!!!

But.... frankly I did not see anything you mentioned that contradicts the previous replies. Again, your expertise is in the Pacific NW, right?
BTW, any paint that is applied below the waterline in my humble opinion is considered to be anti fouling, no matter if it is epoxy based that you have to sand from time to time or any other product designed for the same purpose.
'Nough said.
Although tact tends to not be strong with him, I actually scrolled thought the thread knowing he would post and take what he says in high regard and over others.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 16:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
Although tact tends to not be strong with him, I actually scrolled thought the thread knowing he would post and take what he says in high regard and over others.
Thank you for your input, but I fail to understand the intention.
Old 22-04-2022, 16:09   #39

Read the attached quote.
Old 22-04-2022, 16:22   #40

Boat: S&S 36

Don't know where u are located, but the Australian made Hempel Globic 9000 Antifoul, upto 90 month antifouling protection . Not too expensive and not so labour intensive like coopercoat
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 16:24   #41

Quote:
Read the attached quote.
I just started a thread for input/replies of forum members and their experience on the best Hard paint durability wise to apply on boats, more precisely my future sailboat.
The only desire I have from this forum is knowledge, any personal issues that forum members will have with each other is irrelevant to me.
Old 22-04-2022, 16:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
I just started a thread for input/replies of forum members and their experience on the best Hard paint durability wise to apply on boats, more precisely my future sailboat.
The only desire I have from this forum is knowledge, any personal issues that forum members will have with each other is irrelevant to me.
Take it easy, that was my point. Take FastBottoms input.
Old 22-04-2022, 16:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Domino View Post
Don't know where u are located, but the Australian made Hempel Globic 9000 Antifoul, upto 90 month antifouling protection . Not too expensive and not so labour intensive like coopercoat
Do you use this on your hull?
Old 22-04-2022, 16:37   #44

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Thank you, seems like a very good idea will certainly give that a try, if I could push it to 3 years, I would be a happy camper, em sailor I meant.
I put 2 coats red bottom coat and navy top coat of Interlux extra on my hull It lasted 3 seasons it was semi hard ablative. I got 3 full seasons out of it, AND we kept her in the water, wet storage in half the price of on the hard on Long Island NY.
They discontinued the paint probably because it worked, at least for my purposes. This year I am just throwing the petit that everyone else uses (that doesn’t do sh!+). It’s comming out again next winter, I might take it down to the gelcoat and prime for a hard paint or semi hard, something I can clean once a month, I am diving the vessel and doing the cleaning now anyway.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 16:40   #45

Quote:
Take it easy, that was my point. Take FastBottoms input.
Well thank you for your input, I appreciate!

Tags
paint, water