Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2021, 20:41   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Best non-marine deck cleaner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
That 30 seconds cleaner is just a bleach, although there may be some soap in there too. I used a pressure washer with just a commercial detergent in it and it worked a treat.
Roger
Yes it is mostly bleach but it seems to have something else to it. It works better than just Clorox.
Old 07-08-2021, 22:31   #17

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Krud Kutter handles some of the tougher jobs. Readily available at places like Home Depot.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 22:36   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25

Soft scrub
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:26   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

VIM. From the dollar store. Works great on decks. And a good brush.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:57   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Vim? Is that the powder you toss over a wetted surface, then scrub?

FYI: Barkeepers Friend has that same product except it has acid added for cleaning even rusty spots from decks. Barkeepers Friend is the most used product for us.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:11   #21

Warm water and white vinegar 4:1 ratio most times.
Look online for some ratios if needed and the type of dirt/grim you intended to remove.

May add something like borax for hard grime and easier cleaning/ scrubbing. Not much, 1-2 tsp/tbsp. IMO

Ajax/comet is the powder used for cleaning. .
VIM is the liquid version for the most part.

With any new cleaning product always test in inconspicuous areas watch for possible side effects on the surface.
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:47   #22

Simple green.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 06:46   #23

Dollar Store lavatory cleaner. Hydrochloric acid based and shifts all muck and rinse away. Denaturalised alcohol ie alcohol stove fuel, will shift stubborn marks like masking tape residue when left on too long.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 06:53   #24

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
So, my boat has been sitting on the hard, under pine trees for most of a year, and it's time to scrub the deck.

I'm sure I could pick up something that promised to be perfect, over at West Marine, but soap is soap.

I'm sure there is something I could pick up at Home Depot or Lowes that would work at least as well at half the price.

Or, for that matter, might already have in my basement or garage.

Does anyone have an ordinary household cleaner that has worked well for them for cleaning fiberglass decks?
For 3 bucks at the dollar store, best cleaner I have ever used.. Takes stains out, whitens white decks. All I use these days https://www.amazon.com/Las-Totally-A...72525598&psc=1
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 06:55   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
So, my boat has been sitting on the hard, under pine trees for most of a year, and it's time to scrub the deck.

I'm sure I could pick up something that promised to be perfect, over at West Marine, but soap is soap.

I'm sure there is something I could pick up at Home Depot or Lowes that would work at least as well at half the price.

Or, for that matter, might already have in my basement or garage.

Does anyone have an ordinary household cleaner that has worked well for them for cleaning fiberglass decks?
If you are talking about brown stains from sitting under a pine tree, "soap" is not going to cut it.

Once you have tried all the suggestions without success, I suggest going to the hardware store and buying some oxalic acid "wood bleach" (often used for cleaning residential decks). Mix it up and apply it with a sponge mop and let it sit a few minutes. Rinse it off and see how it works.

Caution, obviously, it will remove wax, but it will also discolor metal and that includes your boat trailer. Protect the trailer from the acid.

The "hull cleaners" that you buy at West Marine are primarily acid in one form or another.
Old 16-08-2021, 06:57   #26

I’ve found nothin that works better the SOFTSCRUB and a scrub brush
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 07:17   #27

+1 on this, FSR is fantastic stuff... I use a small knuckle brush to work it into the non-skid, then sit and wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanortho View Post
Davis Instruments FSR Big Job Bottle (Amazon)

Used this after my 34 footer was on the hard for two years uncovered. Scrubbed the deck with it and it left it unbelievably white (rinsed off with a pressure washer after I scrubbed it). Took off all manners of stains and filth. I then used it on my yellow power cord which nothing (simple green, acetone, MFK, super clean) would get the embedded black grunge stains off of and I now have a yellow power cord.
r.stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 09:52   #28

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Wood bleach, AKA oxalic acid. Amazing for fiberglsss and unfinished wood. Cheap, pint canister of granular product will make 5 gallons of strong cleaner when mixed with water. Buy at hardware store. Scrub it on with long handle stiff brush and let it work a bit. Rinse off and apply a neutralizer of baking soda. Use gloves and do not wear sandals. Any splash will burn your feet. It is the same active ingredient as the FSR products but way cheaper. Use Bar Keepers Friend to clean stubborn stains or rust spots.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 10:56   #29

Boat: Beneteau/343

How about for removing creosote from docks that is now in the cockpit?
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 11:23   #30

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
So, my boat has been sitting on the hard, under pine trees for most of a year
(Bold and underline added by me)

I think your biggest problem might be removing the sap. Did an internet search for removing pine sap - apparently no magic bullet. Alcohol seems to be the most recommended, but guessing that's going to be expensive, not to mention hazardous. Apparently hand sanitizer works too (it's mostly alcohol).

I'd look for something that is a non-petroleum based tar remover. The local dollar store sells a cleaning product called 'Awesome' that works good on bugs and tar. Something like that coupled with soaking - scrubbing - power washing might work. Would try a small patch in an obscure area first.

Good luck!

Tags
deck, marine