Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 14:03   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Best Orgsnizer- To Do System

On a boat we have endless Lists of things To Do.
Departure List
Drydock List
Daily, Weekly, Monthly Tasks,
inventory checks, Shopping Lists
Maintenance Jobs.etc etc

Over the years I developed spreadsheets and my Franklin Planner to keep me organized .

This week I researched different Planning Apps to update my Tasks and Reminders so as to synch with my phone and PC.

With no experience, I picked "Microsoft To Do" app to give it a try.

Before I invest too much time in it importing data, does anyone use a better App that I should look at first?
Thanks!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 14:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Best Orgsnizer- To Do System

There was a recent thread on the subject started by GILow in case you were interested in checking that out.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 23:40   #3
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There was a recent thread on the subject started by GILow in case you were interested in checking that out.
Thanks, do you have the thread title, could not find it
Old 06-10-2019, 07:14   #4
CF Adviser

Found it!...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ct-222511.html
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I use Microsoft One Note and hold a lot of data for boat and personal life. Its available on PC, Andoid and Iphone and syncs so you can update or read pretty well everywhere.
Typically I store:

• all the details of the boat and equipment, serial numbers, consummable details required to replicate, repair and maintain
  • Onboard to do list
  • Home to do list (buying things mainly) for when I am off the boat and home preparing to return
  • Useful contacts, shops etc
  • etc etc
Its great as you can capture, text, files, pictures, scans, URLs, create drawings, just about anything you want organised as you wish. Stuff you snap off the web are stored along with the URL to return to the original source.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:36   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Context: MBA and Masters in Project Management, certified PMP. Lots of tools for truly complex project and program management.

For simple stuff (groceries, trips to chandlery) I use lists on either paper or Windows notepad that I print. For more complex things I use Excel. I've tried a lot of tickler systems and apps. None are worth the overhead to me.

In Excel I can list tasks for a project with links to shopping lists and date links to a master program list.

I avoid cloud-based systems for several reasons (security mostly, but also access off-the-grid).

I used to use Windows Outlook Notes which synced to iOS Notes on my phone. Apple broke that some years ago, so know I print Outlook Notes to PDF and sync those to iBooks on my phone. Updates on paper until I get back to my computer.

Paper or electronic basically lists on blank pieces of paper for simple things, Excel (which I can open in iOS Numbers on my phone) for complex things.

References are PDFs or Word, including recipes and provisioning plans.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:54   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use OneNote for lots of things and am trying to figure out why MS brought out ToDo instead of incorporating changes into OneNote. Does anyone see any advantages of either?

I find OneNote works well for shopping lists, etc. I have added things that I buy under different categories with check boxes so when I need something I just add a check mark. When its in the grocery cart I delete the check mark.

Also with OneNote I can keep recipes from the net that look interesting by just sending them to OneNote.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17   #8

Have a look at Evernote.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:47   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Microsoft OneNote - as others have written.

Not only is it device independent (syncs across PC/Apple/Android/iOS) but you can use the built in camera facilities. You can keep various notebooks with separate pages in each (like an old Filofax) and search across the lot. With Office 365 everything is saved to Onedrive so even if you lose the device you do not use the data.

Tasks, which you are trying, it's good for simple lists but does not have the same power and expandability as OneNote. Each is complimentary.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50   #10

I use Wunderlist on my iPhone for project lists, grocery lists, boat to-do’s, inventories of storage lockers on the boat and to record engine part numbers and other specifications related to the boat. They have a PC and Android version but I haven’t tried those. I use my phone or my partners iPhone which are synced for every thing. I even print some lists using my phone as a backup.
Seaquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 13:31   #11

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I use OneNote for lots of things and am trying to figure out why MS brought out ToDo instead of incorporating changes into OneNote. Does anyone see any advantages of either?

It looks like Microsoft bought Wunderlist and that is now Microsoft ToDo. I suspect we'll seem some consolidation over the next couple of years.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 13:48   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
It looks like Microsoft bought Wunderlist and that is now Microsoft ToDo. I suspect we'll seem some consolidation over the next couple of years.
Ah, that makes sense. I downloaded ToDo yesterday but could not see any advantages over OneNote.

There are some very good (IMO) videos on Youtube about OneNote. It has some nice features that I don't use yet.
Old 06-10-2019, 14:21   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I find B-Folders on Android really good. Plus piont is that it is also securly encripted so you can put things like passport numbers on it as well
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 15:03   #14
CF Adviser

Wrong post
Old 06-10-2019, 15:05   #15

Boat: Sailboat

After one-note, and other trials, I am back to spreadsheets: google-sheets, which can be edited offline via google chrome or on the sheets android app (probably also on the iphone). Offline changes are synced when going online. When online, it also allows several users to work on the same spreadsheet, simultaneously.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote