Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 04:34   #1

Best place for a bottom job

Hello all,
I'm a trawler guy/forum member who has been absent from this group for many years. I am back and now fully retired and living aboard in St. Thomas. I will be in need of a bottom job this summer and have some questions:

I have heard that bottom paint that is available outside the US (and therefore not regulated by the EPA) is better at retarding growth and will last longer. Does anyone have any anecdotal experience and valid recommendations on this matter? Has anyone had a bottom job performed in the eastern and southern Caribbean? I would welcome recommendations on paint and yards. Has anyone stayed aboard during this process? What marinas are the most friendly to work with and would allow me to perform some chores myself?

I am not opposed to doing this in US territories but I want the best bang for the buck. If sand or soda blasting were necessary (and that may be the case) then what would be the recommended yards for that.

Thanks for your time
Greg Bowers
Heart of Gold
JGBowers is offline   Reply With Quote