Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2023, 08:29   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Best practice for servicing Lewmar winches

My boat has 8 Lewmar winches. I'm not sure how long its been since they were serviced - since buying the boat I've had other priorities. I've finally reached that point on my ToDo list for getting them service and I'm wonder about best practices to follow.

I've downloaded the service manual, and it seems fairly straight forward. I plan to do that this winter in my warm garage. The videos I've seen show the work being done on the boat. I'm thinking my options are to disassemble on board and bag the parts by individual winch or to remove the entire winch.

Is it ever a good idea to completely remove the winch from the boat? I'm tempted to do that, but since none of the winches appears to be leaking I don't want to make trouble for myself unnecessarily.

Thoughts?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:17   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: Best practice for servicing Lewmar winches

I do mine every year, dissamble on the boat.

Depending on the model all parts can be removed without removing the base.

Get a bunch of these:

https://ca.binnacle.com/p5061/Lewmar...duct_info.html

Wrap a cloth around the winch to catch any parts, some will be covered in grease and only fall out once cleaned. Don't lose any most are made from unobtanium.

My winches are from 1976, the inspector scratched in the date and their initials under the top cover.

I bag mine and clean them in the garage using brake cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221023_153550608.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	281858   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221023_153704834.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	281859  

Name:	PXL_20221023_153916369.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	281860   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221023_154019561.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	281861  

Name:	PXL_20221023_154104677.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	281862   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221023_154209147.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	281863  

5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:37   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Can easily been done on the boat.

Just be careful not to loose the little springs and pawls.
Import, no grease on the seat of the pawls and springs, just a drop of oil.
A bit of a good marine grease on the gears and shafts.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:32   #4

I can't see any reason to remove the base from the boat just as a maintenance item. Just take all the parts home.

If they haven't been done for a while it will be a chore to get all the old dried grease out. If you do them each year or two it becomes easier.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:49   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I can't see any reason to remove the base from the boat just as a maintenance item. Just take all the parts home.

If they haven't been done for a while it will be a chore to get all the old dried grease out. If you do them each year or two it becomes easier.
Agree fully. Leave the base on the boat.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:09   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Cardboard box with a hole in the bottom to just fit over the winch will help avoid lost parts.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Can easily been done on the boat.

Just be careful not to loose the little springs and pawls.
Import, no grease on the seat of the pawls and springs, just a drop of oil.
A bit of a good marine grease on the gears and shafts.

Good luck.
Feel free to lose the springs and pawls. REPLACE THEM. if the pawls wear a bit, they can get stuck, and a stuck pawl does not prevent the winch from spinning in reverse. Having a winch suddenly free-wheel in reverse is EXTREMELY dangerous, even on small boats.

Those tiny pawls and springs are really really important. They are not expensive, just change them.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 13:22   #8

Boat: Island Packet 38

No advantage to removing the spool from the boat, the winch has to be disassembled to reinstall the spool on the boat anyway. Best to do one winch at a time to avoid confusion. The spindle gear on older two speed Lewmars tends to deform a bit, the gear teeth can then bind in the spool bore. Carefully touch up the gear teeth with a Dremel if necessary to get the spindle out. Do not over grease anything, a light film on all parts is all that is needed, too much grease will gum things up. No grease in the gear stacks at all, just light machine oil. Take a photo of the winch when the drum is removed, don't rely on your memory.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 16:29   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Take a photo of the winch when the drum is removed, don't rely on your memory.
IMO, better to do them one at a time, thus having a "model" for what it should look like when reconstructing the disassembled one.

Jim
Old 08-10-2023, 18:51   #10

Boat: S2 9.1

I too recommend servicing them on the boat. I get a wash tub with mineral spirits in it, and put all the parts in there and clean with a cheap paint brush. Then dry and reassemble. Grease and oil as required. One winch at a time.
As mentioned, pawls and springs are not expensive, and since you do not know how old they are, I would replace them.
Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 18:55   #11

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IMO, better to do them one at a time, thus having a "model" for what it should look like when reconstructing the disassembled one.

Jim

Oh let me plus that right there
Old 08-10-2023, 19:16   #12

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Another vote for doing it on the boat.

Another good tip is to take photos as you take each piece off so you remember the order they go back on.

Also, Yachting Monthly have done a good video on how to do this.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:26   #13

Boat: IP 44

I did all 7 of mine this spring. Took about an hour + for each one. The 2 speeds taking the longest because more bearings.

Definitely dont take the units completely off. Cause more problems than it would solve IMO. I used diesel to clean the parts, as well as a stiff plastic brush and a pic. Lewmar sells a specific grease, that is of course pricey. Not sure if its worth it, but I bought it. Goes a long way. As mentioned, it just takes a light coating. Lewmar recommends you actually brush on the grease, and the lube kit comes with a nice brush. Remember for the bearings, you aren't packing automotive wheel bearings. They just need a light coat of brushed on grease. And a drop of light oil on the pawls.

They are well designed and easy to work on winches. Mine only required a phillips screwdriver to take the whole thing apart. There were only a few parts that were not obvious which way they went back together. Some plastic washers specifically. Thats where having another assembled unit is handy.

I dont think mine had been serviced in a long time, Lots of dry hard grease between the gear teeth. That was the hardest part of cleaning them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lewmar 2 Speed.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	281903  
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 08:21   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I usually do it bi-annually, rotating the winches every other year. I have 8 winches on the boat.
When disassembling them I use a box, like a beer case box which I cut a circular hole in the size of the winch, place it over the winch to catch any flying parts, so far its never failed me in 35 years.
Cleaned, inspected and greased.
If you have a subscription to Practical Sailor they did an article on winch grease, comparing the winch company grease to over the counter grease brands. What they settled on was Green Grease, which can be purchased in most automotive supply stores, just as good as the winch company brands at a fraction of the cost. I've been using it for about 12 years and have had no winch failure or appreciable wear, I've yet to have to replace parts.
That includes the previous boat which I raced regularly, then our present boat which we cruised for 4 years.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 08:45   #15

Boat: Tartan 3800

I purchased an empty gallon paint can for a few dollars at a big-box home center paint department and filled it 1/3 full of solvent. I put winch parts in there for cleaning. When I'm finished I put the lid on and put it away. For solvent I use Klean Heat which is a high quality, low-odor kerosene.

Be careful with brake cleaner. It's flammable, toxic, or both, depending on the formulation. Some of them have chlorinated solvents that, when inhaled, end up in your liver and stay there "forever." Kerosene, diesel, mineral spirits, etc. are safer and still get the job done.

Tags
lewmar, winch