Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 17:49   #1

Best quality hatches

If I want the best hatches for my yacht what’s the premium brand and model?
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 18:47   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Best quality hatches

A Bomar cast aluminum hatch performed well on the foredeck of our J/36. Though we had to replace the gaskets, it lasted for about 35 years until the lens cracked. By then replacement parts were no longer available. A similar new one cost twice as much as an extruded hatch, so we went with a less expensive Lewmar instead. The model depends upon what you need it to do.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 20:40   #3

Boat: Tartan 28

Not sure about the hatches, but I replaced all my portlights with Bomar. Worst company ever to deal with. It was a slow project and they were direct fit replacements from the old Bomar ports that were discontinued. One hinge broke as soon as I opened the window post install. I contacted them, and to make a long story short they wouldn’t replace this crummy little $5 part in warranty. The part was $45, they told me I had to buy it, and if I wanted to send my old one back they might think about crediting me. On top of that, they charged me $35 shipping without telling me (so now i’m $80 into a plastic hinge the size of a half dollar. The whole port was only $200 from defender, which would have given me 3 hinges, a window, 3 latches, and a screen! I had no recourse unless I wanted to live with my broken hinge, or pull out and replace the ports with something else after I was done with all 8. The lady was rude and about as unhelpful as you could get.

I sent a big note to customer service asking for someone business focused to contact me to discuss. I got no response.

I always approach these types of things with patience and willingness to work towards a resolution, giving the benefit of the doubt, etc.. But in this case I think its safe to say I’ll never do business with Bomar again, and I’ll be quite vocal about my experience.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 20:55   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Bomar hatches are junk. Who thinks that putting holes in hatch that depends on a loose fitting gasket and pieces of thin aluminum and plastic is a good plan? My custom made hatches on my old Cabo Rico were 33 years old, were never refurbed or required any fixing except a thin gasket from McMaster Carr after 30 of those years. They never leaked a drop.

I don't know who is making good hatches anymore but if you find one please let everyone know.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 23:30   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

all hatches work ok when they are new. most important is what are they like when older, and can you service / repair / get parts ?

we have all lewmar (11 i think) which are about 20 years old, and still in perfect nick ie they open / close and keep water out

few times parts needed, these are readily available.

we're happy with lewmar

cheers,
Old 23-08-2020, 05:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We have Goiot hatches on our 35 year old Kaufman 47. The aluminum frames are substantial. I suspect they will last another 25, although the lenses will need replacement before then.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 05:49   #7

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I put 4 Vetus portlights in my sailboat. I'm happy with them but they are only a year old now. Reasonably priced. Boston Whaler uses them.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 06:16   #8

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Bomar, we have them on our Bristol, they are forty three years old, and very solid, we had new lenses and seals installed during our refit. According to the folks at “Hatch Masters” they are Bomar Ocean hatches, spoke highly of them.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 06:20   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If not the best very damn good.

Family business, they answer the phone.

Great customer service, parts available for a reasonable amount.

https://www.atkinshoyle.com/products...and-ports.html
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 06:24   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
A Bomar cast aluminum hatch performed well on the foredeck of our J/36. Though we had to replace the gaskets, it lasted for about 35 years until the lens cracked. By then replacement parts were no longer available. A similar new one cost twice as much as an extruded hatch, so we went with a less expensive Lewmar instead. The model depends upon what you need it to do.
What parts could you not find? I have been able to find parts for my Bomar cast hatch (42 years old) easily online.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 06:49   #11

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Bomar Ocean Extruded hatches. Pure junk. I have 4, 24x24. One lense cracked when I stepped on it. I’m a boatbuilder and they told me to stuff it.
All the seals shrink and come loose. The extrusion weld has broken on one.
The dogs are held together by one screw into plastic. The leak and provide little security. Ocean? More like pond hatches.
The old cast hatches became too expensive to produce so out came the junk.
The old hatches could be fixed, welded , powder coated, new lenses...you had enough material to work. Extruded Bomar hatches are a sad joke. But...
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a built a lot of boats manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 07:36   #12

Either Bomar cast series or Atkins and Hoyle cast series.
Old 23-08-2020, 07:38   #13

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Manateeman,

From my experience with the Bomar Ocean hatches on our 1977 Bristol 29.9 they have done exactly what they are supposed to do with no issues, they are rugged, built well and keep the Atlantic Ocean out our of our boat, and we have had a fair bit of it go across our deck and house top. I go in at two hundred pounds and can stand on mine with no issue. There are no plastic parts outside of the lenses themselves (acrylic) iirc. Could be you don’t have the good old series from forty three years ago.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 07:47   #14
cruiser

Lewmar much better than bowmar. The Bowmar latches are junk as are the hold opens which lock up.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 08:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi. Bomar Ocean Extruded hatches. Pure junk. I have 4, 24x24. One lense cracked when I stepped on it. I’m a boatbuilder and they told me to stuff it.
All the seals shrink and come loose. The extrusion weld has broken on one.
The dogs are held together by one screw into plastic. The leak and provide little security. Ocean? More like pond hatches.
The old cast hatches became too expensive to produce so out came the junk.
The old hatches could be fixed, welded , powder coated, new lenses...you had enough material to work. Extruded Bomar hatches are a sad joke. But...
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a built a lot of boats manatee.
You can still purchase Bomar cast hatches new. They'll cost you, but they are the only hatches on the market that I would trust standing on.

Tags
hatch