Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2011, 08:16   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx

HA! True that! But then there are all kinds out there, trying to do their own thing. We live and learn don't we? I know a few that shouldn't have sharp objects, much less power tools.

Bazzer, whatever works for you is what you use. Good luck to ya. We're getting ready to do this on our Bristol 34 VERY soon now. 100% of the foredeck, 70% of both side decks forward of the cockpit, all the cockpit floor and seats, and all aft of the cockpit. Seems the only part that doesn't need it is the deckhouse overhead. But then it is a 30+ year old boat. All is 1/4" balsa being replaced with marine grade ply and we're rebedding all the attachment points (shrouds, rail, etc...) on the deck.
I have the Fein, but it is lightweight compared to the SawsAll with the chisel blade. I have also just purchased a used Kett saw with the vacuum attachment. I am going to do my decks in sections of approximately 2x2foot my core is very thick, looks like 1" ply. Boy, is my True North built strong!
I love doing work like this and I can't wait for the weather to improve enough to get going
Bazzer
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 11:06   #62

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: Best Tool for Cutting Fiberglass Deck ?

Fishman, Did this job last year and found different thicknesses of balsa depending on location. Cockpit floor is usually 3/4" as well as most areas that get walked on. The idea behind balsa is that the vertical end grain does not take in water and spread it horizontally due to the grain direction. If properly saturated with resin, if and when it gets wet, the water has a hard time moving. Plywood, as well as being heavy where you don't want it, once wet will quickly move water all over the place. I also found that any idea about reusing pieces of deck glass (as someone has suggested)after ripping out is just a wish. Plenty of still well adhered areas will prevent removal of large, neat pieces. It ain't pretty!
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:56   #63

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Re: Best Tool for Cutting Fiberglass Deck ?

smurphny,
Re: skins - OUCH! That's gonna hurt!
Re: plywood - on that your right. at the time we were going to use ply due to $$$ constaints. Now with an investment coming due, all that is now changing. (See "Charts for the philippines" thread). We may bail on this job and hand over to the pros just to get it done and sell this particular boat (may just give it away, who knows). Now I have either a Gemini or Lagoon 380 in mind for my retired life.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass