Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2012, 13:23   #31

Boat: Mason 43
Re: Best Tool for cutting screws

With all the BS and downright nastiness that has been floating around this forum, this is the best thread I have read in a long time. Civil difference of opinion and all good. Not sure if it works with stainless but I always put the nut on before cutting the screw and then backed it off to clean up the threads.

I always wanted a Dremel toll, now I'm not sure
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 14:11   #32

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

Yes, I appreciate all the great recommendations. I have all the tools, grinders, chisels, saws etc that have been mentioned. I have about 20 screws to cut. I'm thinking this is what I'll do...I'll video the process using all the various techniques and then edit and post it on youtube. I'll title it "When you screw too long"!
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 16:20   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
With all the BS and downright nastiness that has been floating around this forum, this is the best thread I have read in a long time. Civil difference of opinion and all good. Not sure if it works with stainless but I always put the nut on before cutting the screw and then backed it off to clean up the threads..............

It does

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Yes, I appreciate all the great recommendations. I have all the tools, grinders, chisels, saws etc that have been mentioned. I have about 20 screws to cut. I'm thinking this is what I'll do...I'll video the process using all the various techniques and then edit and post it on youtube. I'll title it "When you screw too long"!
Just makes sure you leave the nuts on
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 17:30   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
With all the BS and downright nastiness that has been floating around this forum, this is the best thread I have read in a long time. Civil difference of opinion and all good. Not sure if it works with stainless but I always put the nut on before cutting the screw and then backed it off to clean up the threads.

Are you sure your not confusing this forum with another sailing one?

I've found people here to be exceptionally good, and the mods do enforce that little rule, "be nice".

There is a wealth of knowledge on all aspects of sailing and owning and maintaining a boat here. Not to many nasty folks though.
Old 28-05-2012, 00:26   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Don't forget that for any stainless machine screws/bolts that are going to be used in the marine environment - and - you would like to get them apart again - to use Lanocote or Tufgel on the threads.

Also for sheet metal screws (for fastening to fiberglass or through wood) clean the screw/bolt with acetone and a rag before putting a sealant/caulk/adhesive like 3M 5200, LifeSeal, or whatever. This removes hand grease and screw manufacturing oil films from the screw/bolt and allows the sealant/caulk/adhesive to get a good grip on the metal.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 17:13   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Bought some cheep diamond cutting wheels at Harbor Freight work in my Dremel tool,removed 10 thru hull fittings with one cutting wheel
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 18:05   #37

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Well people can whinge about the dremel all they want. I've had mine for about 20 years and have used it to clean up welds, open up slots in 1/8 plating and cutting bolts flush. I also have a 4.5 inch grinder, (several actually) and they also will do the job but for tight spots, the dremel has saved my tail more than a few times.

Oh and if you want to try to stop it with your fingers, be my guest. I'll have the paper towels and duct tape ready when you start to leak red stuff all over the place.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 18:25   #38

As with most tools, it is primarily how you use it that makes a difference. There are those with patience and gentle touch and there are those of us with heavy hands and want everything done quickly.

So there are different tools and makes of tools that will work best for different folks. I am quite impatient and therefore need a more robust and higher powered tool. I normally grab my big die grinder first if my 4.5" angle grinder is too big. One of my favorite tools is a reciprocating stab saw with a 12 inch metal blade. I can trim stuff with that sucker much like the guy with the chain saw can make his tiki pole carvings.
Old 29-05-2012, 18:44   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Well people can whinge about the dremel all they want. I've had mine for about 20 years and have used it to clean up welds, open up slots in 1/8 plating and cutting bolts flush. I also have a 4.5 inch grinder, (several actually) and they also will do the job but for tight spots, the dremel has saved my tail more than a few times.

Oh and if you want to try to stop it with your fingers, be my guest. I'll have the paper towels and duct tape ready when you start to leak red stuff all over the place.

You're not catching on. You can buy an industrial strength 1/4" shaft die grinder with more longevity and vastly more torque for much less money than a dremel. They are exactly the same size (some are even smaller, particularly pneumatic models), cost less, and work better. You can get them in right angle, which is much more comfortable to use. They have a much better selection of bits which are also much cheaper and last much longer. The dremel tool is for homeowners and hobbyists who don't know any better, anyone who's carried on any industrial trade knows better. You can get flex shafts, foot pedal throttles, etc. etc. etc. Way more accessories than a dremel. And of course 1/8" shaft bits break, there torque rating is very low because the shafts torque rating is very low. 1/4" shaft is whole different world, much cheaper and works much better. Sure a dremel will do the job, but it won't do it near as quickly or as well and it costs more and won't last as long. Not very smart.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 20:28   #40

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop
1/4 shaft die grinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
You're not catching on. You can buy an industrial strength 1/4" shaft die grinder with more longevity and vastly more torque for much less money than a dremel. They are exactly the same size (some are even smaller, particularly pneumatic models), cost less, and work better.
Minaret, you've convinced me. I don't have compressed air on my boat, so I'm after an electric powered die grinder that is compact.

I actually have an AC powered Hitachi die grinder, but being over 12 inches long is quite awkward to use in smaller spaces. My Dremel is only 7 inches long.

So I'm looking to buy a powered 1/4" die grinder (esp right angle type) that is around the same size as the Dremel. Can you help by suggesting a couple of models?

Thanks
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 21:49   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: 1/4 shaft die grinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqus View Post
Minaret, you've convinced me. I don't have compressed air on my boat, so I'm after an electric powered die grinder that is compact.

I actually have an AC powered Hitachi die grinder, but being over 12 inches long is quite awkward to use in smaller spaces. My Dremel is only 7 inches long.

So I'm looking to buy a powered 1/4" die grinder (esp right angle type) that is around the same size as the Dremel. Can you help by suggesting a couple of models?

Thanks
Put a flex shaft on the model you already own. Cheapest and best way to go most likely. The end of the flex shaft is like a big pencil, you can get it in the tightest of places easily. Something like this-

Amazon.com: 1/4" Heavy Duty Flex Shaft with Keyless Chuck: Home Improvement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31ubgA4GdkL.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	41631  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 22:11   #42

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop
Re: 1/4 shaft die grinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Put a flex shaft on the model you already own. Cheapest and best way to go most likely. The end of the flex shaft is like a big pencil, you can get it in the tightest of places easily.
Good option, but I keep the big Hitachi grinder for use in a home garage/workshop and would like to buy a small 1/4" one specifically for keeping on the boat. Any recommendations?

A compact right-angle 1/4" die grinder would be perfect, but even a straight one would do if it's a handy size.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 04:49   #43

Marqus - - see my post #22 - That is a Black & Decker version and all the other China/Japanese companies make the same sized tool. It is an 1/8" bit tool and multi-speed. The carbide bit in that post is from "Roto-Zip" and is also an 1/8" shank.

I, personally, have never had any luck with the "flexible shaft" attachments for these tools. Probably because I have a dentist version of the flexible shaft tool that is powerful enough and comes with a heavy base or hang-up bracket. Torque is a major factor in flexible shafts and the motor driving the flex shaft can wander around if not restrained. It is the old "action and reaction" thing Newton was talking about.

The DeWalt dw-660 is the next size larger tool and is basically referred to as a die-grinder. And it comes with collets that accept 1/8" and 1/4" bits. This tool with a 3" thin cut-off disc on a 1/4" arbor is the knat's ass in useful tools around a boat.

You can cut off screws/bolts and slice though stainless steel rigging wire and stainless plate and shaped metal. With patience I cut out a anchor storage hole -3" x 6" through a 1/4" stainless steel plate while repairing a friend's boat in Luperon, D.R.

Thing is, when cruising far from easily available sources of tools, you want to have on board the most rugged and long lasting tool you can find. When hanging upside down in the bilge you don't want to spend more time than absolutely necessary to cut through the heavy bracket or mounting bolt that is frozen/rusted tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a0bf5f68-201e-4052-b3e4-cc13798136bb_300.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	41644  
Old 30-05-2012, 08:59   #44

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I am liking the die grinder idea with the flex cable extension.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 01:41   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
If you use the Dremel, insert the armature shaft thru the bottom of a clear plastic cup, cut off to length you need.
Cuttings stay in the cup. Use this on any overhead work, drilling etc.
Nice tip. Thanks !
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote