Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2020, 11:20   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Best varnish? Gloss, semi-gloss, matte?

Other than personal preference, is there any qualitative difference to using gloss, semi-gloss or matte types of varnish?

I just waterproofed by new hatch and doors with epoxy resin, but I need to slap on a few coats of varnish to protect the resin from UV.

I've been using semi-gloss up until now, but I need to redo all the varnish this spring, is there any reason to choose one over the other?

And, what's your favorite brand?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 14:21   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Best varnish? Gloss, semi-gloss, matte?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Other than personal preference, is there any qualitative difference to using gloss, semi-gloss or matte types of varnish?

I just waterproofed by new hatch and doors with epoxy resin, but I need to slap on a few coats of varnish to protect the resin from UV.

I've been using semi-gloss up until now, but I need to redo all the varnish this spring, is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Gloss is less porous as the varnish does not have flattening agents, and so is easier to clean and in my mind it reflects the light rather than absorbing it, which I think last longer.

Get ready for the brand discussion...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 14:38   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gloss is harder, because the flattening agents are not in it. Therefore, it is better in high wear places, where your hands go often. Generally, for areas like bulkheads, we use matte, because it hides imperfections better than the high gloss, and it may be a little easier to live with. This boat is all gloss, and we're used to that, now. We've used many brands over the years, pretty much in the middle of the price range.

Ann
Old 20-04-2020, 14:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post

The less glossy the less durable. The additives for semi or flat cause this. I don't know how big a difference it is though.
Also, exterior varnish has UV blockers, interior does not. I like Exterior Varathane as well as any myself.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 15:33   #5

For interior varnish I use Epifanes low VOC water based rubbed effect satin

Very durable and easy to use

Roll and tip

http://www.epifanes.com/product/00/AMV.1000/Aqua-Marine-Varnish-1000-ml
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7CAB7E8-5574-4CDC-ACCC-6C8A594DC37B.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	213309  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 19:32   #6

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Build up coats with gloss for durability & UV protection. If the surface prep isn’t good enough or too many imperfections in the substrate, using a satin or matte final coat will minimize their noticeability.
Old 21-04-2020, 10:11   #7

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I’m sorry to hear that you already applied some epoxy undercoats. I used West System and it was Bad mistake. My three coats of varnish over the epoxy is in very good shape but the epoxy is staring to lift a year later and it all hast to come off. Not a fun task. A heat gun really helps because epoxy can’t stand up to it and it lifts pretty easily. The epoxy will also crack under direct hits and moisture will get under it quickly. This problem has not shown up on my masts yet which may be due to the lighter color wood and less heat retention or the grain of spruce vs mahogany. No experience with teak as Rosy is all mahogany. I’m now trying to avoid all the new rage varnishes and look for high tung oil content and no “thanes”. Avoiding ultra-thick. In a marine environment if you blow it and nature gets your last coat, it’s less sanding and an easy redo. Good luck.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:48   #8

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Well you will get as many opinions as posts on this. We use International two part polyurethane high gloss on the wood parts of our Gazelle Gaia. Great stuff. Lasts and lasts even in the tropics. We use it over thin west system epoxy that penetrates as well as anything and have had no problems.

Years ago when I had a wood Nova Scotia built sloop with wood masts we used to varnish the mast every year. And every year the blocks etc would dinge the wood and water would get undernearh. Unsightly! Then one year we stripped off all the varnish off the mast and coated it all with several coats of the West System thin epoxy. We then varnished that with the two part polyurethane mentioned and had no more problems with it. They looked as beautiful at the end of the season as at the start although we sailed mostly on the Great Lakes with that boat except one jaunt to NS and back via the big Apple.

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:53   #9

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Oh I meant to add: we only sanded before the first and last coat of the polyurethane and put the coats of epoxy on one after the other while still 'green' and ditto for the polyurethane. Of course more coats is always better. But everyone knows all this ��

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 13:30   #10

I was very content with doublecoat UV epoxy high gloss. Epoxy based. Holds many years and very very durable. One disadvantage: locally repairing is difficult. Better give all a new layer.
rolwolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 14:12   #11

Boat: Tartan 37C

I have had very good results with Gloss. Water based makes for easy clean up.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 14:44   #12

OK, I will take the bait and opine on my favorite varnish and why. I have used a lot of Interlux Schooner. It levels well and seems to last. More recently I have used Total Boat, "Gleam". Levels well, seems to last as long as any varnish (none of them last as long as I would like). I have used Epifanes and find it to be quite a bit more viscous than the others. I have also used Petit, Captains, Man 'o War and others but keep coming back to Schooner and Gleam. I use gloss and if I want a flatter finish, do the final coat in semi-gloss.
BTW my preferred application method is roll and tip with a 4" foam roller and a 2" Jen foam brush. My preferred reference is Rebecca Whitman's "Brightwork, the art of finishing wood"
Hope that helps
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 07:01   #13

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Perhaps down below a matte finish does not reflect bright sunlight as much as gloss so less tiring on the eyes
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 07:47   #14

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Over the years I think I used all of them. My favorite for exterior work is Epifaines Clear Gloss varnish, however for interior work I'll use Total Boats "Lust". The reason I like Lust for interior is that I can get several coats on in one day, but it just doesn't have the UV durability.
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 08:51   #15

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Has anyone used Le Tonkinois Linseed Varnish? I'm curious about this product. Thanks.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish