Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 12:05   #1

Best way to remove masking tape grooves for a new paint job?

Hi sailors, I'm planning on repainting the top sides. However, the previous owner had apparently painted over three horizontal stripes that were made using masking tape. So where those stripes are, there are clearly visible grooves that I'm worried will still show when I paint over the whole area (I don't want stripes anymore, just a solid color paint job besides the water line). Is there a way to fair those grooves easily and most efficiently? Thanks for your advice!
Sebastien972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 14:30   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Best way to remove masking tape grooves for a new paint job?

Hello Sebastien,

I'm thinking that you are not seeing "grooves", but paint buildup where the stripes are, and that can be carefully sanded down.

Ann
Old 08-04-2019, 19:16   #3

Thank you Ann, so as it turns out, it's the opposite. The whole top sides are at the same level, apart from the three stripes that are deeper. I wish it was the other way around!

I'm thinking, perhaps applying primer to the stripes area, let it dry, then sand and repeat until flush would be the way to go? Any other idea would be helpful. Thank you
Old 08-04-2019, 20:01   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Sébastien, the idea of filling it up with several coats of high built primer and than leveling is a good one.
Just make sure you follow the steps on the can properly and sand the grooves properly before application.
Especially when it comes to overcoating times.
When you sand it back down use a orbital sander and do not use a to rough sandpaper. Let your primer thoroughly cure before sanding.
If it's really bad you could tape the area around the grooves, than give just the grooves a couple of layers of primer to fill them before primering and sanding.
I suspect you have the grooves because someone was lazy and created the colored stripes by just taping the existing color off and than painting the complete hull above DWL.
Old 08-04-2019, 20:19   #5

You are absolutely spot on!
Yes, that was likely an act of laziness from the previous owner. And sounds great for the priming. I will be using this technique. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2019, 14:30   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien972 View Post
You are absolutely spot on!
Yes, that was likely an act of laziness from the previous owner. And sounds great for the priming. I will be using this technique. Thank you!
If those groves have any depth at all you might want to use a glazing putty to quickly build them up, found in most auto supply stores. You could also even use auto body filler. Lightly sand this area first for good adhesion.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 14:39   #7

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Captlloyd, car body filler is prone to accumulate moisture due to the talcum in it.

When working on a hull, especially close to the waterline or under, epoxy based fillers are generally a better choice. If he uses those the repair will last much better.
Old 09-04-2019, 16:23   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Yeah, I'm with Franziska on the use of epoxy-based fillers. I've done boats using it and it is tough and not hard to work with. Maybe don't do it on a really hot day, as this accelerates hardening. Mask off surrounding areas

Also, a trick I've used with fillers is to wet my smoothing knives with denatured alcohol (stove alcohol works just fine) to go over the uncured epoxy to get it smoother.
Any sanding should be done the next day, for the harder it gets, the harder to sand it without damaging the surrounding gelcoat. Buy extra sanding discs, you'll need them for they can dull quickly with epoxy.

The problem with your application is that the filler may be very thin, depending on depth of the affected areas, so you may end up with a brittle layer under your topsides paint which may crack on impact.

Building up coats of linear polyurethane (e.g., Interlux Perfection) may give you a more flexible fill, not sure about this. The problem with LPU paints is that they are really thin. Maybe call Interlux, Petitt, Awlgrip and see what they recommend.

Good luck!

Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 16:47   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As Franziska said. It is critical to make sure the filler (whether that's high-build primer or a putty) is a MARINE GRADE expressly suitable for continuous immersion. That will cost a bit more, but it beats all hell out of having to redo the entire topsides.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:05   #10

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Nice posts. The same would apply to correcting any imperfections in the hull paint. Car repainteres, body shops are good at this especially dealing with matching, buffing and ultra fine sandpaper. If there are any in your acquaintance they would be a valuable source of info.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint