Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 09:51   #46

Boat: Olson 40
Re: Beta marine engine cost

The motor I bought is an ElectricYacht 10KW. About $5300 for the complete package.

The batteries I bought were made by Battle Born near Reno, the BBGC2 models. About $3600 for a 5KW bank.

I also bought a Magnum 4400watt 48v pure sine wave inverter/charger, which was about $2K. I did not have an inverter before. I had a very good charger, a ProNautic 1230P, which I removed.

The motor and mounts weigh about 50 lbs, so it was very easy to carry the box down below, pick it up, put it on the existing engine bed, bolt it down, line it up. Maybe a 2 or 3 hour total clock time effort. Someone who did it before could do it in an hour. Very, very easy.

Getting the new batteries to fit is a bit of a hassle, as they are not exactly the same size as the T105s. Not really a huge hassle, had to take some battery chocks to a table saw, then screw them back down. The custom bars across the top of the T105s that barely gave access to re-water don't fit, so that is still on the punch list.

Wiring is trivial, and everything provided with the kit: switch, fuse, throttle, panel, even fasteners.

Range remains infinite, as it is a sailboat. I only need to get out of the slip, so not matter the power source, the motor is truly an auxiliary. No way I could power up the coast to Canada, but no way would I choose to do that with a diesel: that noise, vibration, harshness, smell, hassle finding fuel, complicated maintenance of these supposedly reliable but factually unreliable power plants and charging systems, etc etc etc.

I was intending to do this eventually, and decided this is a good time to become a Tesla on the sea.

The simplification of the boat systems is substantial! Remove all the stuff that required work, and replace with stuff that requires no work. Remove all the stuff that smells, and replace with no smells. The boat has absolutely zero below deck odors. This is not a minor improvement!
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:28   #47

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
The motor I bought is an ElectricYacht 10KW. About $5300 for the complete package.

Range remains infinite, as it is a sailboat. I only need to get out of the slip, so not matter the power source, the motor is truly an auxiliary. No way I could power up the coast to Canada, but no way would I choose to do that with a diesel: that noise, vibration, harshness, smell, hassle finding fuel, complicated maintenance of these supposedly reliable but factually unreliable power plants and charging systems, etc etc etc.

I was intending to do this eventually, and decided this is a good time to become a Tesla on the sea.

The simplification of the boat systems is substantial! Remove all the stuff that required work, and replace with stuff that requires no work. Remove all the stuff that smells, and replace with no smells. The boat has absolutely zero below deck odors. This is not a minor improvement!
All that being said can you tell us what your range is?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 13:50   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: My 3 Freedoms 28 35 and 44 Cat Ketches

Can you tell us what other motors and batteries and accessories you considerred? Thunderstruck-EV motor? FuelZero batteries? Controllers, chargers? Are you running 4 12v or 2 24v or ? I am in the midst of trying to figure out what might be best for my boat. Thanks for your feedback! Roger
Old 11-01-2019, 12:07   #49

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeebles View Post
..... I am in the midst of trying to figure out what might be best for my boat. Thanks for your feedback! Roger
Me too!!
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 02:26   #50

Beta Marine Diesel For Sale
Miketcq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 03:51   #51

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketcq8 View Post
Have you ever bought anything from this firm? If so, how was your experience?
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 03:58   #52

Boat: Tartan 40

Seems very cheap. No gearbox included it seems
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 04:04   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Have you ever bought anything from this firm? If so, how was your experience?
nope, I was following a VLOG and they mentioned a Beta Marine motor, so many comments about the prices hidden, so I had to share this link... Just a link that I found with the pricing..
Miketcq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 04:11   #54

Quote:
nope, I was following a VLOG and they mentioned a Beta Marine motor, so many comments about the prices hidden, so I had to share this link... Just a link that I found with the pricing..
Thanks, I haven't heard great things about this firm so looking for first hand experience.
Old 23-04-2020, 04:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Seems very cheap. No gearbox included it seems
Gearbox can be had for about $800 usd
Old 23-04-2020, 04:14   #56

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I'm not sure I'd trust that site. As an example, a typical 9.9hp outboard is at least $2500.... this site list a Yamaha at $1017. Something is way off.

Yamaha 9-9F 2-Stroke Tiller Handle Outboard Motor

Matt
Old 23-04-2020, 05:24   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
This is bogus. This is a conjob. This company is NOT associated with Beta Marine in any way at all and their pricing is below distributor cost.

Stanley Feigenbaum
Beta Marine US
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:58   #58

Boat: Rhodes 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
I repowered my Cape Dory with a D1005 Kubota industrial engine and marinized it my self. With gearbox and all it cost me just under 5K, Just my two cents.
The tractor engine must be a marine engine or you're experimenting.... Tractor mods have oil that leaks from the pan gasket. Possibly other problems associated with the rock and roll of the sea, galvanic corrosion and so on...
I assume nothing when it comes to re-engineering. Do the research....
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:07   #59

Boat: Rhodes 45'

The simplification of the boat systems is substantial! Remove all the stuff that required work, and replace with stuff that requires no work. Remove all the stuff that smells, and replace with no smells. The boat has absolutely zero below deck odors. This is not a minor improvement![/QUOTE]
It is hardly what you say. Your world is dependent on dock charging cause you have no generation and to say wiring is simple. No it's not to a DIYer and a fire and failure are common. The electric engine is many pluses, but hardy a cake walk. There are lots of failures. It is cutting edge tech and intensely complex. And I say that knowing the wiring. You can be in a blow for days and equipped with no engine? Yes, tied to the dock, fine...
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:26   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitsthebill View Post
The tractor engine must be a marine engine or you're experimenting.... Tractor mods have oil that leaks from the pan gasket. Possibly other problems associated with the rock and roll of the sea, galvanic corrosion and so on...
I assume nothing when it comes to re-engineering. Do the research....
I disagree with your assessment of a difference between an industrial/tractor engine and a marinized one and I have done the research. I have marinized more than a few and I can assure you there is absolutely no significant difference. What makes you think that a construction/tractor engine lives a docile life?

Just make sure that the engine rating is correct for it's application i.e., variable rpm, governor and high pressure pump are set for the correct rpm range and you're set to go. You may need a shallow oil sump, a water pump">raw water pump, a different coolant outlet, an SAE bellhousing, adapter plate for the gearbox, damper plate and engine mounts and brackets.

The tough engineering has been done by the heat exchanger manufacturers and off the shelf heat exchangers are available to fit many industrial engines that are used as marine engines such as Kubota, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Ishihara and others. There are numerous sources to find the correct raw water pump used by the marinization company as well.

Here's a open question to anyone who has marinized a Kubota engine, did you use the Betamarine additonal flywheel ring for additional flywheel inertia or not? I've not used one and have been happy with the results but I'm considering it for the next Kubota project.

Tags
beta marine, engine, marine